most profound movie you've seen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
      Im sorry, but AMerican History X was just not that profound for me. . .

Was it a great movie, and a hell of a watch? Hell yes. .

But profound? I think not. . The guy only stops becoming racist because he: 1.) Realizes not all skinheads are racist at all! In fact, they do business with other races! 2.) Gets raped in the ass by the lead skinhead; 3.) Meets a funny black guy who makes him laugh.

It was just too one-sided for me. People are not caricatures like that.

At least I now know how to make everybody "unracist" who is racist, though. Find a funny black guy and force them to spend time in the same room around each.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post

But profound? I think not. . The guy only stops becoming racist because he: 1.) Realizes not all skinheads are racist at all! In fact, they do business with other races! 2.) Gets raped in the ass by the lead skinhead; 3.) Meets a funny black guy who makes him laugh.

At least I now know how to make everybody "unracist" who is racist, though. Find a funny black guy and force them to spend time in the same room around each.
        originally tony kaye intended for there to be a final scene after edward furlong's death which simply shows edward norton standing in front of a mirror shaving his head. supposed to illustrate the vicious circularity of racism and all that. but the producers feared it might be too un-pc or something so it was never filmed. edward norton also butchered the script to give himself more screen time.

Comment

Great question!

Some good answers posted already, and some dude mentioned Batman Begins, hell yeah! That's the first movie that sprang to mind, especially the beginning when Bruce is a lost soul trying to find himself.

I think the Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream by Aronofsky are good choices here.
          Gotta give The Lion King a mention.
          The Pursuit of Happiness, good pick.
          My Left Foot is a movie that left an impact on me.
          Taxi Driver.
          Last edited by _original_; 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
            originally tony kaye intended for there to be a final scene after edward furlong's death which simply shows edward norton standing in front of a mirror shaving his head. supposed to illustrate the vicious circularity of racism and all that. but the producers feared it might be too un-pc or something so it was never filmed. edward norton also butchered the script to give himself more screen time.

I have heard about that planned ending. I think that would have been better, and more fitting.

Racism breeds violence, which in turn breeds more racism... So on, and so forth. . .

Norton was brilliant here, but perhaps he did overdo it with some dialogue.

I still think it was a good movie, but not very profound at all.

Comment

Dude Where's My Car

The lost car serves as a metaphor for the dreams and ideas that we chase that are never meant to be found. The alien babe robots represent life's challenges which can be deceptive as things are not always as they appear. Their car tucked away in a nearby alien base serves to remind us that the answers we are seeking are, although often right under our noses, buried deeply in a sea of secrets at the same time. So close yet so far.

No other film has made me question the meaning of life as deeply as Dude Where's My Car. Is perception reality? Or does an eternal truth lie right beneath the surface?
              Last edited by elfag; 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post

dude where's my car

the lost car serves as a metaphor for the dreams and ideas that we chase that are never meant to be found. The alien babe robots represent life's challenges which can be deceptive as things are not always as they appear. Their car tucked away in a nearby alien base serves to remind us that the answers we are seeking are, although often right under our noses, buried deeply in a sea of secrets at the same time. So close yet so far.

No other film has made me question the meaning of life as deeply as dude where's my car. Is perception reality? Or does an eternal truth lie right beneath the surface?
                shibby!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post

It was profound enough for you to make a post on how I found it profound, but you didn't.

Oh yeah.

FSU sucks.

Comment

It's not the most profound, but there's this Greek movie called Dogtooth that I saw recently......sort of reminded me of The Truman Show....

The parents isolate their children from the outside world - creating a new and strange one inside their estate....

Comment

Into the Wild, The Wrestler, Seven Pound come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X