No announcement yet.

Pacman ain’t got no kryptonite - Superman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacman ain’t got no kryptonite - Superman

This guy is cocky! Pacman will shut this guy's mouth in due time, once and for all!

-----------

‘Superman’ taunts Pacquiao
    By Joaquin Henson
    The Philippine Star 10/13/2004

Guyanese fighter Gairy St. Clair, who likes to be called "Superman," said recently he’s not afraid of Manny Pacquiao because the consensus world featherweight boxing champion "ain’t got no kryptonite."

St. Clair, 29, predicted a win over Pacquiao when they face off in an open-air field at the Global City in Taguig on Dec. 4.

"I am the uncrowned king waiting to be crowned," said St. Clair, quoted by Harry Summers in the website **********.us. "Pacquiao’s gonna make me look good. I can’t wait. I’m gonna win the Thrilla in Manila. The world will see just how good I am."

St. Clair warned Pacquiao to get ready for Superman.

"I am the best I have ever been but there is 50 percent improvement still to come and come it will," continued St. Clair, based in Australia the last three years. "I’d like to thank Marco Furia, the matchmaker. He is an Australian now living in the US making a big name for himself. Without him, we would not have got a look in. To all my fans, never fear when Superman’s near."

St. Clair’s manager and trainer Craig Christian said, "If we get the right judges and by that I mean fair, I have no doubt Gairy will beat the Pacman."

Pacquiao is treating the fight as a tune-up for his rematch against International Boxing Federation (IBF) and World Boxing Association (WBA) featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez in February. If Pacquiao loses, it will likely be St. Clair battling Marquez instead.

Since Pacquiao is the consensus world featherweight champion but owns only the Ring Magazine belt, the fight will probably be a 12-rounder. Pacquiao has nothing to gain and everything to lose while it’s the other way around for the 5-4 Guyana stylist.

St. Clair is the IBF Pan Pacific superfeatherweight, the World Boxing Organization (WBO) Intercontinental featherweight and the World Boxing Foundation International superfeatherweight titleholder.

St. Clair turned pro in 1994 and has since compiled a 35-3-2 record, with 15 KOs. Last July, he stopped Filipino prospect Bart Abapo on cuts in the sixth round. Another Filipino victim was Australia-based Mendocino Sibua who bowed on points twice. St. Clair has not lost in his last 19 outings.

"It’s a great opportunity for Gairy," said IBF vice president Ray Wheatley. "He’s a brilliant boxer who benefited enormously from his years sparring with Kostya Tszyu. He hasn’t lost in four years and his only defeats have been decisions to three world champions–Diego Corrales, Vivian Harris and Leonard Dorin."

Johnny Lewis, who trains Tszyu, said, "Gairy has all the skills and with the right person in the opposite corner, I am sure one day, he will be fighting for a world title." Hall of Famer Jeff Fenech added, "This kid is a skillful guy–if you can spar with Tszyu and he has done that many times, you can certainly fight." Lewis and Fenech trained St. Clair before he moved to Christian’s camp.

Writer Paul Upham said St. Clair’s constant movement and speed make him almost impossible to hit. Upham described St. Clair as "one of the more elusive fighters in the world today."

St. Clair is a shifty switch-hitter who usually fights orthodox and occasionally, southpaw. He has never been floored, an indication of durability and a granite chin. St. Clair lived in Brooklyn for five years and polished his skills in New York gyms.

Corrales, now the WBO lightweight titlist, dealt St. Clair his first loss in Sacramento in 1998. The decision was unanimous–119-108, 116-113 and 117-111. St. Clair used a crouching style, bobbing and weaving often below the belt line. Lacking in power, he never hurt Corrales. "St. Clair was most dangerous when he countered but also racked up points by going forward, throwing a bevy of effortless, if light, blows," wrote Boxing News.

Harris, the WBA superlightweight champion, was responsible for St. Clair’s second defeat in Philadelphia in 1999. St. Clair came in as a substitute for Terry Reid. A big right shook St. Clair in the seventh. Harris won a lopsided verdict on scores of 100-90, 99-91 and 98-92.

St. Clair’s third defeat was inflicted by Dorin, a former WBA lightweight ruler, in Montreal in 2000. Boxing News said St. Clair was hurt several times but never went down. "Gary also had his moments in the few times he stopped still to exchange some lusty blows but Dorin was too smart and strong," Boxing News noted. "St. Clair turned southpaw at times to score but lost 97-93 on all three cards."

Last Oct. 1, St. Clair stopped Ghanaian Theophilus Quaye in the 11th round to retain his WBO Intercontinental 126-pound title in Queensland. Referee Chris Daley stepped in to halt the one-sided bout at the 2:25 mark. St. Clair complained that Quaye bit him twice but it didn’t deter the Guyanese from controlling the action with rapid-fire combinations.

Sounds like another Lucero to me

Comment

Fine BROTHERS that's what's pumping Manny's EDRENALIN . . . big talkers. Let him talk the talk . . .he is just capitalizing on the very short period of time being given to him to be in the LIMELIGHT.

Comment

granite chin-pac power hmmm im interested in this fight might be another tito-mayo fight but it did say he comes strong with counters, and i bet he knows something about pac that others cant see, im still going with pac(even though i hate the bum)with a devastating KO, just to see JMM-pac II

Comment

Good for St. Claire to taunt Manny.
          Hopefully it keeps Manny all the more
          fired-up for this supposedly "tune-up" fight.

Comment

black superman face will be hit by a kryptonite left....GAME OVER

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
              Sounds like another Lucero to me

Probably more of another Lebwada as I said in another thread . . . the guy is making a big mistake, he doesn't know that Manny is all made up of KYPTONITE.

Comment

Pac doesn't need any kryptonite...

'cause Superman is dead! May he rest in peace!!!

Comment

Did Pacman have anything to say in response? When is this fight scheduled? I'm new to the world of boxing (relatively) and havent seen the Pac in action, I'm keen to watch this one

Comment

Originally posted by Invader_Stu
                    Did Pacman have anything to say in response? When is this fight scheduled? I'm new to the world of boxing (relatively) and havent seen the Pac in action, I'm keen to watch this one

Nopes . . . nothing . . . and Pacman doesn't have to say anything. St Claire is virually a unknown fighter who was only given attention when he was mentioned as Pac's posible opponent. The guy is just trying to get some attention and publicity . . .the normal pre fight hype.

And just to update you . . . this fight is not going to push through. Pacquiao is fighting FASHAN -3K Battery on December 11 in Pasig Metro Manila Philippines as his tune up fight for his planned February fight against JMM or Morales. I'm just not sure if it's going to be beamed live abroad, locally yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X