No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson Oficially signs with K-1. Fighting in Summer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson Oficially signs with K-1. Fighting in Summer

TOKYO, April 15, 2004 -- K-1 has come to terms with boxing legend Mike Tyson for his debut in the World's premier fighting sport. Financial details were not disclosed, but the Brooklyn-born former world heavyweight champion's first K-1 bout will be on or around July 31st of this year.

"After many months of negotiations with Tyson and his representatives, we signed a contract on April 11 (Japan time)," announced K-1 Event producer Sadaharu Tanikawa to a standing-room-only press conference at the Takanawa Prince Hotel in central Tokyo. The contract calls for a fight this summer, and gives K-1 an option for two further Tyson fights.

K-1 initially wanted to hold the fight in Japan, but due to difficulties getting Tyson a visa for this country, the organization is now going with an American venue -- New York City's Madison Square Gardens and Los Angeles' Staples Center were both mentioned at the press conference.

The fighter who will face "Iron Mike" is also a matter of ongoing consideration and negotiations, although Tanikawa did refer to Bob Sapp, Jerome LeBanner, Ray Sefo and Musashi as possibilities.

Tanikawa said that although K-1 Rules would be best, a final decision on the bout's format would be made at a later date, possibly when Tyson 's opponent is announced.

"The main thing for now is that we do have a deal with Mike and he is excited about it and eager to fight," said a K-1 representative. "Mike will be at the K-1 Battle of the Bellagio II in Las Vegas this April 30, and we will release more information at that time."

While Tyson will of course be the main event, there are also plans to pack the card with K-1's biggest stars, said the representative. "This will permit us to showcase K-1 to a wide international audience in advance of the Athens Olympics [which start August 13]."

TBS will handle the Japanese broadcasting, and negotiations are in progress stateside on a pay-per-view deal for what promises to be the fightsport event of 2004.

If it's under k-1 rules mike better start training.

Comment

I hope someone kicks his head off

Comment

Under K1 rules he could still beat Sapp, but I think LeBanner would hurt Mike with those kicks.

Comment

Mike seriously needs the money. I guess this would be good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
            Under K1 rules he could still beat Sapp, but I think LeBanner would hurt Mike with those kicks.
            remember the unfamous LeBanner's jaw, he loses a very important point with this aginst Tyson...

Comment

If they put him up against a k-1 fighter with even half was decent boxing skills, Tyson is in for a world of hurt

He has never taken a kick and if he is fighting someone that can hold him off for long enough and start to work the low kicks, he is in for a rough night

Comment

Mike has a high threshold for pain and a good chin, I think he'll rape almost all K1 fighters, no one in K1 has boxing skill anywhere near Tyson's, except Briggs and Tyson would probably KO him too. It's gonna have to be someone with real good kicks and mobility.

Comment

I bet it ends up being boxing and a quick ko.

Comment

I'm excited about this match. I hope to see a guy like Tyson in mma soon.
                    Ray Sefo would be a great match. He would try to get in Tyson's head and aggravate him.
                    I'd like to see a strong kicker go up against him and work the legs.
                    Sapp would get raped. No contest. Tyson's been punched by the best strikers in the world. Sapp went down from a punch by Kimo.

Comment

Working...
                    X