Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Bare Knuckle Fight: Royce Gracie vs Unbeaten Kung Fu fighter

Kool vid bro!

Comment

Gracies in action tapes. There where 2 of them floating around. That's actually Jason Delucia, he fought Gracie again in UFC 2, and lost again. He had a nice little career in Pancrase, he fought Bas Rutten a handful of times. The last time he fought Bas his liver was ruptured by one of Bas' leeever strikes. He does hold wins in Pancrase over Minowa, Kondo, and Chris Lytle...

Comment

I'm surprised more wrestlers weren't able to sprawl and avoid more of those takedowns and avoid more of those submissions back then. I guess it was all new at that time. Jason Delucia has even said he entered the tournament not only to try to win it, but to get another shot at Royce. That's why Royce held onto that armbar a little longer than usual. Dan Severn even said on the Ultimate Royce DVD that he had never seen a triangle choke before. That's why it impresses me even more today when someone can be caught in a submission.

What do you guys think of Royce? ATG? I think so, since the guy's a pioneer in the sport and beat pretty much everyone in his time. He's definitely one of my favorites.

Comment

ATG no, but he proved the importance of ground fighting to the world....

Comment

Of course he's a ATG. He proved that being under weight didn't really matter as his BJJ was his greatest gift.

He was in the first UFC ever and will be a legend. He paved the way for so many.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
              Yep, the Gracie's sold these tapes when the UFC first got popular. I had this one. Lent it to someone and never saw it again.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                Everybody is getting cokky (wow they even censor that word) after they have learned the Gracie's own stuff.

Gracie won 3 UFCs fair and square against guys from other styles who thought they could beat him with their own styles. The fact that he was right dosen't change that.
                Last edited by res; 11-20-2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I think I have this somewhere. If not, I could always get a copy burned to DVD. I'm pretty sure I have Choke somewhere too, which I believe was about Rickson mostly. The guy was unbeatable in his prime, in an era when most fighters only knew one style. It wasn't until he made his comeback and the fighters became more well rounded that he started to look human.

He's a legend, but more like the legends of the early days of boxing, when they fought bare knuckled and kept going until someone was stopped, before the sport was safer and more organized, but would struggle in later eras. Although, what's to say Royce wouldn't be more well-rounded in a different era, to make adjustments to certain opponents. He did use some muay thai in his era, using leg kicks against Sakuraba, Jimmerson and Hackney and even using some knees to the face against Hackney, but he didn't need to use it too often. Royce is one of those guys where if you placed him in the modern era in his prime, he would struggle, but if he had time to train in and use more boxing and muay thai, he might still be really successful.

So do you guys rank Royce among your favorites or the best MMA fighters?

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                    In MMA, it's of paramount importance. In a real fight it's somewhat overrated, as the most devastating techniques (and ones that nullify huge portions of the ground game) are the fouls.

Comment

Working...
                    X