No announcement yet.

The Greatest 2 Consecutive years for any Boxer- by Henry Armstrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest 2 Consecutive years for any Boxer- by Henry Armstrong

In 1937- 38 Hank went 27-0 (26 KOs) and won the featherweight title from Pete Sarron, while in 1938 he was 14-0 (10 KOs) and added the undisputed welterweight and lightweight titles in consecutive bouts against fellow HOF'ers Ambers and Barney Ross. While also beating Future MW champ Garcia, in a 10 rounder.

This, IMO may be the greatest accomplishment in history, and will never be done again.

I agree....

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I agree....
      It's inhuman actually.

Comment

Quite possibly.

Charles between 1946-1947 didn't win any titles but he beat Archie Moore x2, Lloyd Marshall x2, Oakland Billy Smith x2, Jimmy Bivins x2.

Only loss was to Elmer Ray (Very underrated) and by most accounts Charles won the fight quite clearly.

I'd say that compares.

Comment

Insane accomplishment, no other word for the man but Legend.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Quite possibly.

Charles between 1946-1947 didn't win any titles but he beat Archie Moore x2, Lloyd Marshall x2, Oakland Billy Smith x2, Jimmy Bivins x2.

Only loss was to Elmer Ray (Very underrated) and by most accounts Charles won the fight quite clearly.

I'd say that compares.
          Very true, sadly one of the forgotten guys.
          Last edited by The Iron Man; 02-15-2013, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Quite possibly.

I'd say that compares.
            Maybe. Adding three titles in 3 divisions over HOF"ers takes it for me though, big time, and going 41-0 in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
              Maybe. Adding three titles in 3 divisions over HOF"ers takes it for me though, big time, and going 41-0 in the process.
              In terms of accolades and accomplishments it's obviously Armstrong.

Iin terms of who has the better wins over that 2 year space, I'd say it's hard say. I'd probably lean on Charles.

Comment

In terms of accolades and accomplishments it's obviously Armstrong.

Iin terms of who has the better wins over that 2 year space, I'd say it's hard say. I'd probably lean on Charles.
                If you put a lot of stock into beating the same guys over and over then I'd say it's close.

Though I don't hold Marshall nor Smith in particularly high regards as light heavies.

Comment

Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
                  If you put a lot of stock into beating the same guys over and over then I'd say it's close.

Though I don't hold Marshall nor Smith in particularly high regards as light heavies.
                  Well going 2-0 with Archie Moore is better than any win Armstrong has in that two year span and anything he did in his career in general.

Why not for Marshall? He beat Charles himself at LHW, aswell as Joey Maxim and proved he has legit power at the weight.

Smith's only regards are at LHW. His best win is at LHW but knocking out Harold Johnson in 2 rounds. And despite losing most of his big fights he showed that he was a legit top contender in a lot of those losing battles and had some strong wins along the way.

Comment

Well going 2-0 with Archie Moore is better than any win Armstrong has in that two year span and anything he did in his career in general.

Why not for Marshall? He beat Charles himself at LHW, aswell as Joey Maxim and proved he has legit power at the weight.

Smith's only regards are at LHW. His best win is at LHW but knocking out Harold Johnson in 2 rounds. And despite losing most of his big fights he showed that he was a legit top contender in a lot of those losing battles and had some strong wins along the way.
                    Just never really thought Marshall was as good at 175 from 160, which is a big jump in that era. His record shows it.

They are about the level of Arizimendi/Wright, two guys Armstrong waxed in his 2 year run. Cerefino Garcia also waxed Marshall 2 times after Armstrong beat him.

Comment

Working...
                    X