Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins wouldn't be as great if he fought dudes his size...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    so I'm sure David Tua getting knocked down and nearly out by the great Monte Barrett had nothing to do with age.

Step your trolling up man, you've been so predictable lately!
    With respect to that... He's only rocking Tua because of a bet he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
      Hopkins has had the physical advantage in just about all of his fights except a select few.
      Like Antonio Tarver, ring light-heavyweight champion, the 3-1 favourite in that fight.

Like... Jermain Taylor, i thought he won the first fight but still, even if he lost it was Taylor's youth that got him the victory not the fact he's physically like-for-likeness

I mean come on...

The select few just happens to be some of his career defining fights.

People like De La Hoya, Trinidad.. fair enough but he beats the odds time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        so I'm sure David Tua getting knocked down and nearly out by the great Monte Barrett had nothing to do with age.

Step your trolling up man, you've been so predictable lately!
        Unlike you, I'm not trolling.

I'll try to dig up the post fight interview with Merchant where Poopkins is asking for WW's and JMw's to "move up" 'and fight him.

You'll still make excuses for him I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinson. View Post
          Like Antonio Tarver, ring light-heavyweight champion, the 3-1 favourite in that fight.

Like... Jermain Taylor, i thought he won the first fight but still, even if he lost it was Taylor's youth that got him the victory not the fact he's physically like-for-likeness

I mean come on...

The select few just happens to be some of his career defining fights.

People like De La Hoya, Trinidad.. fair enough but he beats the odds time and time again.
          as stated before.. Antonio Tarver is probably his lone exception.
          who else can you name besides that?
          & Taylor beat Hopkins twice..

Comment

Hopkins has had the physical advantage in just about all of his fights except a select few. With the exception of Tarver he hasn't looked that great with dudes that could be as physical as he can, see Calzaghe. I thought Hopkins won the Pascal fight but we saw him get dropped twice in the first few rounds. Which makes me believe that if he would've stuck to fighting dudes his size, he wouldn't be what he is and probably would've been KO'd by now. Pascal is decent and all, he beat Dawson and lost to Froch.. but there's no reason why 'Nard should've been dropped by him. Since he isn't known for his punching power.
            nothing but a lot of truth here no matter how the hopkins pundits try to twist it...hopkins started out at lightheavy, and at 160 was visibly physically bigger and stronger than the entire division outside of roy jones and jermaine taylor...fights he lost

at 175, his natural weight, tarver was the only natural lightheavy he fought, and tarver never cracked him good...so his chin was a mystery @ 175...under those circumstances, it is quite possible nard's career wouldn't have the extension thats going on now...

Comment

Originally posted by Stinson. View Post
              Again, after dropping 30+ pounds at almost 40 years of age. Boxing history is pretty clear on what happens when people try this.

The same Tarver that fought Jones would've knocked Hopkins out.

Look at how scared and tentative Poopkins fought against Taylor. Maybe threw 30 punches the whole fight and held on for dear life anytime Taylor got near him. I had the misfortune of being at the rematch and it was one of the worst nights of my life.

I didn't buy the tickets mind you, I got them for free from a secret source.

Comment

what happened to all this Hopkins isn't effected by age stuff? so first he isn't but now he is?
                LOL so you think hopkins is still in his prime? Show me one hopkins fan that says hopkins is still the same fighter he was 10-15 years ago.

What people have been saying is that he is still good enough skill wise to beat certain fighters. Nobody says hopkins has the same reflexes, speed, power and agility. Don't be stupid.

if that's the case then it just goes to show that the only reason he has still been dominating is because he forces his opponents to move up in weight.
                He's been dominating because of his skill set and his ring IQ. He's kept his body in fantastic condition obviously, but he's clearly an older bernard hopkins in the ring.

that's the only guy you guys can say he fought that didn't have the physical advantage.. one dude. that's it. and if you read my initial post I mentioned him in it.
                Glen Johnson. Antwun Echols. Keith Holmes. etc etc etc. Go through his entire middleweight campaign and he fought one guy that didn't belong there and that was oscar. Tito was the other guy people bring up but he was a middleweight champion, a 7-1 favorite to beat hopkins and hopkins needed to unify the belts and the only way to do that was to beat tito so not sure why people use that against bhop. Hopkins/Calzaghe were the same size and pavlik was basically his twin. The only guy at LHW was Winky. So that's two guys hopkins fought out of 58 fights or whatever that you can make a case hopkins had a big size advantage over.

Comment

Hopkins is 45, and besides, Pascal was a 168lb fighter anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    With respect to that... He's only rocking Tua because of a bet he lost.
                    regardless tua is a great example. an unmovable force. the perfect chin. brought down by....................monte barrett?!?!?

Comment

Hopkins wouldn't be as great if he fought dudes his size...
                      Klitchko...

I take it back! I'm sorryyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X