• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one gain speed?

Is there any ways to gain speed?
    Not foot speed but punching speed.

oh yeah by shadow boxing or hiting the bag

Comment

bag work, do speed drills, use heavier gloves too i hear that helps u improve your speed, if u can start pickin speed up with heavier gloves when u use ur proper gloves ur hands will be flying

Comment

Originally posted by Raekwon
        bag work, do speed drills, use heavier gloves too i hear that helps u improve your speed, if u can start pickin speed up with heavier gloves when u use ur proper gloves ur hands will be flying
        i know about the bad methods and the glove methods, i was wondering if there were any other methods that did not involve any gloves or bag work, jus normal excercies or sumthin.

Comment

Push ups train the tricep, pecs, shoulders and bicep so they help i guess, speed in a punch comes from relaxed shoulders and quick hip movement, try swinging a baseball bat or something similar to that

you could try slowing down your punches... the slower punch go the smoother you can punch... the smoother u punch the quicker it becomes so technically slow makes smooth smoothness makes speed. (someone correct me if i am wrong but im sure i heard that before)

but as far as i know bag work etc is best way for speed
          Last edited by Raekwon; 12-08-2004, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shamz
            i know about the bad methods and the glove methods, i was wondering if there were any other methods that did not involve any gloves or bag work, jus normal excercies or sumthin.
            At lot of people i coach(new to the sport) have this mental block when it comes to speed.

i tell them the jab a bag as fast as they can, then i tell push the bag(like an explosive double handed push) which they always do a lot faster. I ask them why they can push the bag faster than punching it? Its always because they are relaxed with a push until impact and with a punch they are too tense all the way through!

I always throw my punches relaxed and only tense up on impact, that way its fast and it still has the power.

I dont expect it to help you if your already a decent fighter, its normally the new guys who have this problem.

Comment

Shadow boxing is a good way, also try holding 1 lbs. weights and shadow boxing, heavier or lighter the weight still works, try wearing hand wraps and shadow boxing too. It's a little weight, but it should still work.

Comment

Originally posted by shamz
                Is there any ways to gain speed?
                Not foot speed but punching speed.
                when you throw the punch, don't tense up your muscles. relax when you punch, that'll make the punch faster

Comment

Theres so many things you can do to increase speed. A good coach will help you with that. Alot to do with technique, repitition and a good trainer. Try doing punching with hand weights, remember to screw your punches nice and loose, use ur hips and bounce off your toes.
                  Remember to do it with repitition, repitition allows your brain to become more in synch with your punch muslces, so to speak.

Comment

also, try to stay away from heavy weights, do medium, to light weights with high repitition to keep power, with speed.

Comment

Working...
                    X