No announcement yet.

how did you get into boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did you get into boxing?

How did you first become interested in boxing family friends, or whatever?

I got into boxing cause my friend was a muay thai instructor and talked me into doing that and i started watching muay thai fights and mma and some boxing eventually i just liked the art form of boxing more than either one of those and decided i wanted to go to a boxing gym instead of doing muay thai and never had an interest in doing mma. Before this i never really paid attention to boxing at all. Now all i really watch is boxing as far as sports, i dont care for mma at all really i will watch muay thai fights some although its more boring to me. The skill and fluidity of the fights is what drew me to boxing over any other combat sports

My dad & his side of the family used to get together to watch the big fights (usually tyson fights) I'd play with my He-Man and watch the fight in the background. He also took me to see the Rocky movies, Rocky 1,2 & 3 we rented, saw rocky 4 and 5 in the theatre. I kind of fell out of it in favor of boxing and got into martial arts and music in the 90s until I returned to my parents hometown and my dad was watching FNFs while i was visiting and I got slightly interested again. Then, the contender came out, and it relaunched my obsession with boxing.

So I guess my boxing history is
    Rocky, Tyson, contender to fanatic.

Comment

i probably should have included i was late getting into boxing i was 20 and now im 28 and still learning a lot about the sport kinda been in and out of it for the 8 years

Comment

I would see it on....hear about it...don't know exactly when I started getting into it deeply....

I would say I was a somewhat causal fan in the late 90's, early 2000...but looking back...I remember the prominent fights....

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
          How did you first become interested in boxing family friends, or whatever?

I got into boxing cause my friend was a muay thai instructor and talked me into doing that and i started watching muay thai fights and mma and some boxing eventually i just liked the art form of boxing more than either one of those and decided i wanted to go to a boxing gym instead of doing muay thai and never had an interest in doing mma. Before this i never really paid attention to boxing at all. Now all i really watch is boxing as far as sports, i dont care for mma at all really i will watch muay thai fights some although its more boring to me. The skill and fluidity of the fights is what drew me to boxing over any other combat sports
          Even though my father regularly bought the big PPVs, I fell in love with boxing when it was booming on my island, due to Tito's rise.

The first PPV I watched in its entirety was Chavez-Camacho. Back in 98 I decided to start boxing but my family persuaded me to stop it as they wanted me to become a doctor.
          Those are my humble beginnings in the sport. The fanboys of today coupled with the robberies, and the reality of the sport once you practice it stole some of that puppy love, but the "Damn Im still schocked on that brutal KO or outcome" moments always seem to ignite the fire.

Its been a long journey, with ups and downs; joyfulness and disillusionment....but in the end its been all worth it.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker. My family is from VA and when I was real young they always made a big deal about him.

Comment

Originally posted by VapeRippa View Post
              The fanboys of today coupled with the robberies, and the reality of the sport once you practice it stole some of that puppy love, but the "Damn Im still schocked on that brutal KO or outcome" moments always seem to ignite the fire.

Its been a long journey, with ups and downs; joyfulness and disillusionment....but in the end its been all worth it.
              yea i gotta say a lot of the reality of boxing from me boxing as an amateur turned me off for a while seeing all the politics and even bad decisions as an amateur where guys got the win cause the fight was in their hometown i didnt realize it would be like that considering that theres really no money in amateur boxing but its still kinda bad

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                Pernell Whitaker. My family is from VA and when I was real young they always made a big deal about him.
                Sweet Pea is def one of my favorite fighters being from va he fought my coach twice as an amateur and was at my first fight even though i didnt get to meet him although im ashamed to say i didnt know of him untill i started boxing

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
                  yea i gotta say a lot of the reality of boxing from me boxing as an amateur turned me off for a while seeing all the politics and even bad decisions as an amateur where guys got the win cause the fight was in their hometown i didnt realize it would be like that considering that theres really no money in amateur boxing but its still kinda bad
                  This^^^.

Lots of these "fans" of today bash on fighters that gave up half of their life just so they could compete at the highest level for our entertainment. Just passing by this forum through the years just to see the "fans" reactions and its truly disgusting.

The rivalries between in boxing are great, because they show respect to each other after weirdly throwing all the bull and differences aside bonding during a war, Ive never seen that in any sport.

But the rivalries between fanbases are truly disgusting and childish IMHO, and big turn off for any true fan.

Comment

I started kickboxing because of self defense and practiced it for three years. Later on I switched to boxing. We had a professional boxing trainer who trained Mahir Oral and other fighters from Germany he also knew Eddie Chambers personally back then. He taught me many things and he told me that I should watch American boxing. From that point I started to understand the fight game and my technique became better. Unfortunately my trainer died because of cancer and if you do not have any support, a manager,a trainer etc. you will not become a professional boxer in Germany even if the sport in Germany is very unpopular and the opposition sucks. I mean you have to pay 70 $ each month for a gym with trainers who only know Abraham,Sturm and Klitschko. Believe it or not ! European boxing sucks ass.
                    Last edited by fenixbb; 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X