Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welterweights vs Lightweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of who is best in the division or the actual ratings?

Having Santa Cruz at 5, when he was KOd by Pitula, and having Amir Khan at 10, who was also KOd kby Prescott is a good indication they are bad. Lamont also fights at 140, not 135

My ratings (in terms of how they should be ranked, not necessarily who is best)

1. Juan Manuel Marquez
    2. Nate Campbell
    3. Manny Pacquiao
    4. Juan Diaz
    5. Joel Casamayor
    6. Antonio Pitula
    7. Julio Diaz
    8. Michael Katsidis
    9. David Diaz
    10. Bredis Precott or Yuri Romanov

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
      Miguel Cotto is above Paul Williams any day of the week, even with his loss.
      Margarito having beat the man should be at the top.
      Clottey above Cotto? lolz...
      Cotto to me is a great fighter and I know styles make fights but its hard for me to rank him above Clottey because of who they have both fought. Margarito and Judah. Cotto is a bit outsized against Pwill and Margarito. I think if he really got his weight to 140 he would be an all time great there. At 147 he is great but not at that ATG status ever.

Comment

Originally posted by boxaholic View Post
        Cotto to me is a great fighter and I know styles make fights but its hard for me to rank him above Clottey because of who they have both fought. Margarito and Judah. Cotto is a bit outsized against Pwill and Margarito. I think if he really got his weight to 140 he would be an all time great there. At 147 he is great but not at that ATG status ever.
        no one is saying he is. and ugh.. ok, Clottey got beat by Margarito then gave excuses about how he was hurt when Margo was also fighting on an injury.
        How does both having fought Margo have to do with anything though.. that doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day Cotto's run @ welter and his opposition has been more impressive then Clottey's.

Comment

i dont think his lightweights rankings are that far off, although im not sure about having khan in there off the back of his defeat. maybe have david diaz in there?

WW is one of the best but the fights aren't being made, iv no doubt that they will but if they lose PW to LMW then imo it does leave alot of loose ends, marg should be looking to take on the punisher once again. he knows what to expect from him and has come to terms with him once before, imo he will fight better against williams the next time around, he should make that fight at 147 and it would give marg alot of respect within the corridors of boxing for not looking foran easy fight and seeking redemption.

i think the smw division follows pretty closely and is pretty good as well - kess, bute, andrade, froch, pascal, taylor, lacey, mundine, inkin. alot of these fighters are pretty well known as well. they might not be ranked as higher p4p as fighters like PW, marg, or JMM but their all very capable.

best division in boxing: welterweights - big fights have been made here and it looks as though they will continue to pit the best names and fighters against each other. also alot of the fighter here are entertaining, marg, PW, sugar shane, are all top level fighters and promising talents like berto and contenders like collazo also deserve a mention.

2nd best: lightweight - follows very closely behind it arguably has the better p4p names but the fights aren't being made if the guzman-campbell fight had been made then maybe it would be ahead of WW.

super-middlweights - some distance behind the LW but still well ahead of most other divisions, high profile upcoming bouts with taylor and lacy, froch and pascal should also help clear up the rankings. just hope that kess can get a unification fight in the US against taylor/lacey.
          ________
          Bmw K1
          Last edited by hookoutofhell; 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
            no one is saying he is. and ugh.. ok, Clottey got beat by Margarito then gave excuses about how he was hurt when Margo was also fighting on an injury.
            How does both having fought Margo have to do with anything though.. that doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day Cotto's run @ welter and his opposition has been more impressive then Clottey's.
            Wow you have just changed my mind. Great take on who Cotto has fought vs Clottey opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
              In terms of who is best in the division or the actual ratings?

Having Santa Cruz at 5, when he was KOd by Pitula, and having Amir Khan at 10, who was also KOd kby Prescott is a good indication they are bad. Lamont also fights at 140, not 135

My ratings (in terms of how they should be ranked, not necessarily who is best)

1. Juan Manuel Marquez
              2. Nate Campbell
              3. Manny Pacquiao
              4. Juan Diaz
              5. Joel Casamayor
              6. Antonio Pitula
              7. Julio Diaz
              8. Michael Katsidis
              9. David Diaz
              10. Bredis Precott or Yuri Romanov
              Khan is a sentimental favorite and I missed that Pitula Ko of Santa Cruz. But come on You have JMM and Campbell ahead of Pacman is biased at best. Pacman beat JMM twice if it wasnt for a judges ERROR. and where is JOAN GUZMAN.

Comment

the lightweight divsion

Comment

Khan is a sentimental favorite and I missed that Pitula Ko of Santa Cruz. But come on You have JMM and Campbell ahead of Pacman is biased at best. Pacman beat JMM twice if it wasnt for a judges ERROR. and where is JOAN GUZMAN.
                  Why would I rank Joan Guzman when he has yet to fight there? JMM is ahead of Pacquiao because he holds the legit championship and Campbell is ranked over Pacquiao because he's also done the better work at 135 by beating Juan Diaz.

You could argue that JMM beat Pacquiao both times, especially the second time. When ranking them how they are supposed to be ranked (based on who's done the best work in the division and who is the champ), that's how you would rank the top 3.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                    Why would I rank Joan Guzman when he has yet to fight there? JMM is ahead of Pacquiao because he holds the legit championship and Campbell is ranked over Pacquiao because he's also done the better work at 135 by beating Juan Diaz.

You could argue that JMM beat Pacquiao both times, especially the second time. When ranking them how they are supposed to be ranked (based on who's done the best work in the division and who is the champ), that's how you would rank the top 3.
                    I can give you the Guzman arguement but the Pacman arguement is a complete favoritism. What has JMM done that Many hasn't. Nate dominated Diaz. But Pacman has beat Diaz, JMM twice if not for Judge Error, MAB twice, Morales 2 out of 3, and his last fight was at 135. You now he is not going to stay at 147 thats obvious, and you know that he will not go back to 130. JMM and Campbell ahead of Pacman is farfetched. And you are 1 of the most respected people on this board I agree but you must have a thing for Pacman.

Comment

WHich Division is better?
                      The Welterweight division top 10
                      1. Paul Williams
                      2. Antonio Margarito
                      3. Joshua Clottey
                      4. Miguel Cotto
                      5. Shane Mosley
                      6. Andre Berto
                      7. Carlos Quintana
                      8. Luis Collazo
                      9. Jackson Bonsu
                      10. Jesus Soto Karass

The Lightweight division top 10
                      1. Manny Pacquiao
                      2. Juan Manuel Marquez
                      3. Nate Campbell
                      4. Joan Guzman
                      5. Jose Santa Cruz
                      6. Joel Cassamayor
                      7. Juan Diaz
                      8. Michael Katsidas
                      9. Lamont Peterson
                      10. Amir Khan

My answer is the Welterweight division
                      Well to be fair...we're gonna have to go by what has given us the better fights. So LW and Sadly, WW doesn't even come close. Too many damn fights that didn't happen at WW and isn't happening.
                      Last edited by El Dominicano; 11-14-2008, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X