No announcement yet.

Should I continue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I continue?

Okay so some of you might know and some might not but to make a long story short, I started boxing when I was 16. Had 2 amateur (1-1) bouts. I recently moved to a different place and the gym is too far for me to walk so I'm waiting until I get a car (which should be pretty soon.) I'm 18 now (just turned 18 on the 25th of Sept) and my dream is to be a professional fighter and make some noise, because anyone can be a professional fighter. It's been over 3 months since I moved here so no training for 3 months but I'm running 5 miles for 5 days a week, joined the cross country team, playing hockey, and I just signed up for the wrestling team so I'll be in shape.

Some guy that I know was talking to me and I told him the story and whatever, but he was like, "You might be a little bit too old now because all boxers start at a very young age and you're not too old either, but you don't have a lot of amateur experience either." I countered by saying there have been a lot of boxers who went on to become champions and had no amateur background at all and I mentioned Julio Cesar Chavez to him about not having an extended amateur career and some say he didn't have any fights as an amateur either.

Anyways, that really hit me because I know you're not supposed to give up, but sometimes reality might hit and it really made me think about it, like am I really too old now?

I feel like I can do it because I got heart and for anyone that knows me, they will tell you. I got fight of the night honors in NYC for my first fight as I've fought like a mother ****er. I am not a flashy boxer and don't have much skill, like hit and never get hit. I go in there to fight but you know, I know the basics I feel like. Another thing that gives me a lot of confidence is that I have a really good right hand as I've dropped sparing partners numerous times.

Sorry that it's a little bit too much to read and it was a long story but if you were in my position, what would you do? Would you still chase the dream?

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read it.
    Last edited by 'Sugar' Freddi; 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM.

Stick to your gun, dont give up, im 21 and wish I started at a young age, but with age comes knowledge and you dont want to be 25 thinking I should have dedicated a few years and did what I loved. So im doing my thing here in Los Angeles, working with Shane Langford at WildCard gym and wanna be pro by 22. **** the critics, im gonna do what I love.

Comment

Nah you're not too old at all. A lot of fighters who start there professional careers earlier also end them. It's all about how much you love the sport. Taking three months off from training is BS though, no offense. If you can't get to a boxing gym, you need to figure out some alternative other than just running. Even if you go to a regular gym and do strength training and agility drills is better than nothing. ****, shadow box on your roof! You're 18 though, you can do whatever you want, don't even worry about yet just dedicate yourself.

Comment

Don't listen to him.

Comment

No, if you have some talents and work hard, you can easily be successful starting at 18. Easy. I know at least 3-4 top line amateur fighters who did so.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Sugar' Freddi View Post
            Okay so some of you might know and some might not but to make a long story short, I started boxing when I was 16. Had 2 amateur (1-1) bouts. I recently moved to a different place and the gym is too far for me to walk so I'm waiting until I get a car (which should be pretty soon.) I'm 18 now (just turned 18 on the 25th of Sept) and my dream is to be a professional fighter and make some noise, because anyone can be a professional fighter. It's been over 3 months since I moved here so no training for 3 months but I'm running 5 miles for 5 days a week, joined the cross country team, playing hockey, and I just signed up for the wrestling team so I'll be in shape.

Some guy that I know was talking to me and I told him the story and whatever, but he was like, "You might be a little bit too old now because all boxers start at a very young age and you're not too old either, but you don't have a lot of amateur experience either." I countered by saying there have been a lot of boxers who went on to become champions and had no amateur background at all and I mentioned Julio Cesar Chavez to him about not having an extended amateur career and some say he didn't have any fights as an amateur either.

Anyways, that really hit me because I know you're not supposed to give up, but sometimes reality might hit and it really made me think about it, like am I really too old now?

I feel like I can do it because I got heart and for anyone that knows me, they will tell you. I got fight of the night honors in NYC for my first fight as I've fought like a mother ****er. I am not a flashy boxer and don't have much skill, like hit and never get hit. I go in there to fight but you know, I know the basics I feel like. Another thing that gives me a lot of confidence is that I have a really good right hand as I've dropped sparing partners numerous times.

Sorry that it's a little bit too much to read and it was a long story but if you were in my position, what would you do? Would you still chase the dream?

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read it.
            the best boxer at my gym started when he was 25.

Glen Johnson started when he was 19

Nate Campbell boxed as a teen but quit..he started getting serious at the age of 24.

You put your mind to it, it's surprising how good you can get it you hyper focus. Don't just keep doing the same thing in the gym..always look to improve. When you are hitting the bag, try to think of it as an opponent and work your punch placing and follow through. Same with the double end bag.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You guys are right. I'm just gonna continue doing my thing and chasing my dream. I'm stupid for even listening to what anyone has to say. Tons of boxers started late and made it. Martinez is another one who became world champ and only started at age 20.

Thanks again.
              Last edited by 'Sugar' Freddi; 10-20-2010, 07:59 AM.

Comment

one thing i wanna add: cross country and hockey is of course great (not really too familiar with this sport), but wrestling can counteract your speed in boxing, your handspeed i mean. because you have to grab and hold and throw and all that, you develop a different kind of muscle, where you have to sustain a hold, sustained pressure, which is different from explosive bursts. so i would say: keep working on your handspeed, shadowboxing, keep that explosiveness in your upper body.

what you can do is use light weights for the first 3 rounds of shadowboxing (focusing on speed!), then 2 rounds without weights to cool down the muscles after working them.

Comment

You should keep training if it is what you like to do. You also might want to find a new gym to train at. Something is wrong with your trainer if he says your to old.

Comment

Working...
                  X