Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit and dont get hit = Skill, Being a pressure fighter = 1 demensional

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most pressure fighters are not that versatile, if they can't get in the other guys business to get them off their game they are not likely to be successful, if that game plan is not successful there is nothing for them to fall back on.

In most cases, doesn't mean they aren't tough to beat, or skilled or talented they just have to do their thing one way or another or they won't win.

Outside boxers are the same way, if they can't fight their way they will get beat. If a guy can keep a guy outside their best ranges, very tough to overcome that if properly done.

A truly skilled slick boxer has options, and versatility kills if a guy can fight both inside and out they are very difficult to deal with but those sort of guys are exceedingly rare.

Comment

margarito gives pressure fighters a bad name

Comment

First and foremost , boxing in its entirety is a skill. But the point of boxing is to get hit, while not getting hit, out pointing your opponent.
        You don't just need pressure, but effective pressure, also a chin. Some brawlers don't have effective and stalk their opponents , but can't cut the ring off or don't have a chin. Imo a boxer becomes a brawler because his skills might not be as fined tuned as a classic boxer, but on the right day, against the right guy , and the right gameplan they can.win some fights. For example Miguel Acosta is a far better boxer than Rios, but Rios had the stamina, chin and relentless pressure to break him down.
        The higher skill set is the boxer who hits and doesn't get, ko's are nice, but I like technical boxers and if he ko's his opponent then its a bonus.
        But the bottom line is, you take the best pressure brawler/boxer against the best high tech classic hit and don't get hit boxer and the latter is gonna win all day.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
          But that doesnt make sense it gets the job done, I mean it takes skill to get someone to fight your fight, I mean sure over all hit and dont get hit is the idea, but if you have a style that is a pressure style or even a great defensive style it takes skill to make sure that your fighting your type of fight through out the fight. thats what skills are.

its not that ohh this guy is a pressure fighter he is one demensional, or this guy is a saftey first fighter hes a ***** who runs. it takes skills to fight at your pace and force your style weather your a boxer or a banger.

I am just sick of these cats round here acting like there is only one style that means you have skills that is false....
          This is somewhat hard to disect. I understand where you're coming from. There are many different style fighters that bring different things to the table.If it works for them, then, hey...how can you knock them? But a skilled fighter to me is one who can master the science of hit and not get hit. For example, Mike Tyson in his prime was a highly skilled fighter. He was on the balls of his feet bobbing and weaving, shooting the jab and making you miss. He was effective coming forward but was just as dangerous countering the opponents jab or straight right. Every punch he threw was precise and accurate. Plus, he banged the body with both hands and threw multiple types of combinations. Thats what I consider masterful boxing, even though he was known as a KO artist. But the past his prime Mike Tyson was far from being skillfull. He never used his jab, the head movement was gone, and he threw 1 punch at a time. That's what I consider 1 dimensional.

Hagler in his prime was highly skillfull. He bounced around, used the jab, made you miss, and broke you down with body shots and combinations. But the Hagler that fought Hearns,Mugabi, and Leonard was 1 dimensional. He was much easier to hit and became a brawler.

I look at guys like Berto, and Khan. they both are quick and flashy at times, but still 1 dimensional. They haven't mastered the art yet to fully utilize their gifts. A skilled fighter can switch styles and adjust to a fighter in the middle of a bout. That's what skill is to me, being able to master the art of defense and offense. If a boxer takes away one of your main weapons, then you have the skill to use something else in you arsenal. A 1 dimensional fighter can't do this and usually gets beat by the more versitile boxer. So a fighter that takes 2 or 3 shots to get his own off might be a hell of a fighter and warrior,but to say he is skilled, I don't think so. Boxing is the sweet science of hitting and not getting hit.

Comment

Boxing has different style aspects associated with it. It takes skill to apply anyone of them. There are different types of pressure fighters.

Winky was a pressure fighter, with a tight,tight defense. He came forward behind & tight guard firing jabs & backing fighters to the ropes then skillfully he placed his shots.

Margarito is a pressure fighter that simply follows guys around & hoped his chin held up long enough for him to catch you. 2 different styles of applying pressure with Winky's much more highly skilled.

Same thing with slick fighters. There are the Floyd's of the sport, sound in offense & defense & able to make fighters fight his fight. With blazing handspeed but takes steam off of the power to rack up points.

Then there was guys like Sugar Ray, also slick but very capable of laying down the power at a time he saw fit to ko his man.

Comment

i think u got it all wrong. were u under the impression that the most skilled boxers in the sports history only fight one way??? because if so, then i see where u failed.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
                How do you guys figure that? those are just two different styles, both are skilled. yes it does take skills to be on your toes have a tight defense and play high speed chess, no doubt.

But there is also another element to the game, example Marvin Hagler, Mike Tyson, those guys, who were able to make it a dog fight and go in there for the killing, willing to take one shot to get of a equally good shot or better.

So how the hell can you guys sit back and claim that fighters with a boxers style in which they hit and dont get hit is skill, yet the other style is Not skills? I mean it takes skills to win a fight, how you win it and what skills you use to win it is just a matter of difference in styles.

But really I want to know why you claim its one demensional?
                You have a point here. Both are skill sets that win fights. However, between a prime Ali and a prime Tyson, who would you pick to win?

My common sense tells me to pick Ali, the fighter who get hit less.
                Last edited by guardian; 10-09-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I think the difference is boxing and fighting. The art of boxing is to hit and not get hit.

Anyone can fight not everyone can box.

Comment

Only Floyd Mayweather fans are making that claim.

However I bet if there was another black fighter who was a beast that wpuld basically **** people up, they would be on his nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by guardian View Post
                      You have a point here. Both are skill sets that wins the fight. However, between a prime Ali and a prime Tyson, who would you pick to win?

My common sense tells me to pick Ali, the fighter who get hit less.

The reason people would pick a prime ali because of his big reach, height, stamina advantage and he had a granite chin . Ali fights in the outside because of his height and reach. Tyson fights in the inside because of his lack of height and reach. Tyson is far better inside fighter than ali, while ali is far better outside fighter.
                      Last edited by victorythagr8; 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X