No announcement yet.

Multi-Vitamin Ingredients

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Vitamin Ingredients

I'm trying to find a good one-a-day vitamin I can take, and I'm broke so I'm trying to get it from a drug store or something rather than pay 30 a bottle at gnc. Can you guys tell me what ingredients I should look for? I work out a lot so I'm looking for something that would be like a good sports vitamin. I've seen some talk about amino acids, b6, pantothenic acid and chromium... are these good things to look for... ?

Sorry if this thread has been done before but i did a search and didn't see this.

you shouldn't need to get amino acids in a pill (although some take extra glutamine). Eat a good diet (possibly with some protein powder), and you'll get enough. All vitamins are important. Calcium should be a big one for you (and many athletes). You expend a lot first of all, and also, many of trouble getting it, since many athlete eat very little dairy (myself included). Personally, I think calcium should be your main mineral concern. Vitamin B6 is good. You most likely will get enough, but it's water soluble, so if you have too much, you'll just piss it out (As with all B vitamins, and C). Vitamin D for example, is fat-soluble, not water. That means that if you have too much, it stays in your fat. That can actually be bad, leading to DNA damage that can cause cancer (especially in the liver and kidney). So don't get too many of those.

Personally, I use Centrum, simple enough and works for me.

Any more questions just ask.

Peace,
    Trick

Comment

Thanks for the advice. You know how much that costs and is it a gnc thing or something i can find anywhere?

Comment

I get centrum from basically anywhere, you should be able to just get it from grocery stores. Can't remember exactly how much it is, but it's pretty cheap.

As for the pantothenic acid, that's just Vitamin B5, and you get that from almost everything, that's what pantothenic actually means (everywhere). You get a lot from whole grains and legumes, so as long as you eat well, I'm sure you get plenty.

And chromium is important in small amounts for metabolism, but recently, it seems that high chromium, especially in the form of supplements causes DNA damage. That was found in rodents, since it's hard to test in humans, but it's a safe bet to say that it would give the same result is us as well.

Also, if you don't eat Iodized salt, make sure you get enough Iodine.

You should be able to get everything else in your diet, but if you train hard, a simple multi-vitamin is never a bad idea. Just try not to get sucked into all of the hype like most people.

Peace,
        Trick

Comment

Working...
        X