No announcement yet.

Wilfredo Gomez or Wilfred Benitez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilfredo Gomez or Wilfred Benitez

Often referred to as the 2 greatest boxers out of Puerto Rico, who do you think should be remembered as the greater boxer and why?.
    Wilfred Benitez
    33.33%
    Wilfredo Gomez
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

I have seen many of their fights. I feel Benitez was more talanted but Gomez had more power. Benitez being the youngest champion in boxing history at age 17 speaks volume about what type of prodigy he was.

Although Gomez beat fellow boricua Juan Laporte, it is important to remember that Laporte lasted 15 rounds with Salvador Sanchez while Gomez was finished in 8 rounds in his biggest fight. Gomez did beat guys like Zarate, Pintor, Perez, Yum and Kobayashi he didn't get in the ring with the depth of Benitez opponents.

When Benitez was in his prime he beat guys like Curry(2nd fight), Cervantes(HOF), Duran (HOF), Palomino(HOF), Santos, Hope. Even in his losses to Hearns and Leonard he fought valiently. He scored a knockdown against Hearns and took him to the 15 Rds and one of the judges had it a draw. Hearns was confused by Benitez, and when he had Benitez in the ropes at the end of the 2nd round, the defensive Benitez made Hearns missed 10 flush shots within a matter of 3 or 4 seconds with an incredible demonstration of slipping and ducking in close quarters. Gomez didn't have that skill he preferred to trade and take shots back.

I am not sure if i would rate Gomez as the second best boricua fighter. I think arguments can be made for guys like Carlos Ortiz, Trinidad, and even Dejesus the only guy to beat Duran at lightweight. There is also guys like Samuel Serrano and Sixto Escobar, but Gomez is probably like #3 or #4 in the list.
    Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Benitez hands down.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Often referred to as the 2 greatest boxers out of Puerto Rico, who do you think should be remembered as the greater boxer and why?.
        Has to be Benitez.

Comment

Both.............................................. ..

Comment

Well, Gomez is the best super bantam ever...but Benitez was clearly more talented. Sort of depends on how you weight things.

Comment

Working...
            X