No announcement yet.

Stroke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroke

Serious Topic, does anyone know anything about Strokes? My dad recently suffered from one. He's doing ok, but he's forgetting things that happened like 20 minutes ago. He's 45 years old, do fairly young. He's in shape and he regularly goes to the gym and keep healthy.

If there anything you can do? What kind of exercises, foods etc does he need?

He has to take various medications and stuff, would appreciate the help.

Staying healthy is always a plus.. But these things happen, not much beside excersise and healthy food to be done.. It's sad people have to suffer from these things.

Comment

Originally posted by -Blackout- View Post
      Staying healthy is always a plus.. But these things happen, not much beside excersise and healthy food to be done.. It's sad people have to suffer from these things.
      Thanks man, I really hope he gets better. He used to be quite confident and outgoing, but now he's gotten quieter and it obvious that his confidence has gone down cause of the stroke and forgetting stuff.

Comment

I know that they are tough...my grandma went to the hospital to have a knee replacement and after the surgery she did not know what was going on. They determined that she had a stroke due to the anesthesia; doctors said it was due to the fact that she smoked cigs and had diabetes. She picks up a conversation mid-point and thinks that you know who or what she is talking about and always gets her words mixed up, she is doing alright though.

It is usually caused by a blood clot that forms and restricts blood flow to the brain and the lack of oxygen causes brain tissue to die. There are two main types: ischemic, which is caused usually by restricted blood flow from a clot and hemorrhagic, which is a hemorrhage inside the skull; either blood fills the gap between the skull and brain or blood seeps through the brain from a blood pocket within the brain somewhere.

Usually it results in a loss of movement in a body part or lack of motor skills. I don't know what you could tell him to do on his own except to eat a healthy diet, not smoke, and take his meds I guess. They said that stress and hypertension are big factors as well. I have heard that Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil and flaxseed oil can help prevent heart attacks and stroke to a large extent but he should rely on what his doc says to be safe.

Comment

All I know is that Boxingscene is the #1 site on the internet in terms of medical advice.

Comment

I think he is pulling your leg.

Comment

My grandma had a stroke a few months ago and she started forgetting nouns and ****. She's pretty much fully recovered now though, so it must have been a mild one.

Comment

Originally posted by RiZО View Post
                I think he is pulling your leg.
                Me? Seriously?

I don't joke about stuff like this he really is genuinely ill, I was just wondering what peoples experiences are cause most of the people on the site are cool and halp withut being pricks

Comment

My grandfather had one 15-20 years ago. As you know it is a blockage of blood flow to the brain so there is some brain damage from the lack of oxygen. In his case he has partially paralyzed on one side of the body. He can walk with a cane though very slow, his speech is slurred because part of the face is paralyzed.

It is pretty much all physical and coordination with him. As far as I can tell mentally he is sharp although he is depressed and irritable a lot but I dont know if he was that way before or not.

I think it depends on what regions of the brain get damaged and the extent. Youre doctors should be able to tell you much more than we can as each case will be different. Also investigating what caused it is important. I know in my grandfather's case he was a hardcore alcoholic and developed type 2 diabetes and still kept drinking which is largely the cause of his stroke.

45 is pretty young and if he is otherwise in good health need to look into what caused the blood clots or blockages. A poor diet, drinking, smoking and high cholesterol cause cause it but there could be other reasons if he is healthy. For women, 40+ years old especially, birth control and hormone replacement can cause blood clots. My mother had a major one removed just in time that was caused by hormone replacement (which is just a lower dose birth control/estrogen pill). It could have gotten loose and traveled to her brain and killed her.

Comment

I work at a retirement home and my friend, which happens to be a resident, suffered a stroke about last summer. He is around 60 years old and he does remember stuff but he has trouble moving his hands and legs usually happens on one side of the body. He does do some hand exercises but he still hasn't fully recovered yet. I think it was because of cholesterol but I could be wrong. He used to be outgoing and he still tries to hang out but he can't drive right now so he is kinda bummed out.

Comment

Working...
                    X