No announcement yet.

Questions about my stance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my stance.

Hey all, it's been quite some time since i've visited this site, but i was sparring with a friend the other day after several months of no fighting whatsoever, and I noticed that I tend to jab with my rear hand. also, I GENERALLY fight regular but several times during the sparring session, I caught myself squaring up, and even switching to southpaw, BUT when I switch to southpaw on purpose, it feels strange. Now, I don't know if this sort of thing is just bad technique coming back, or if it could actually be useful. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts that they would like to share, feel free, and thanks in advance for the replies.

also, to the mods: I apologize if this was the wrong thread, I discovered this problem while training, so it seemed appropriatem, heh.
    Last edited by \/oid161; 01-31-2009, 05:25 AM. Reason: left something out >.<

essiantually, u want to square up, but not be squared.

anyways, it is not such a bad thing to switch your style to southpaw if u are a righty. many fighters do.

well, u are basically a beginner, right? so, it is best to chat with your coach or people that are vets and and that u have direct contact with.

Comment

Well, essentially i'm new to boxing as a sport, but not pugilism altogether. I've done martial arts most of my life, and i boxed in a gym for a short time (I quit because the coach had one boxer that he spent ALL of his time on, even though the rest of us were paying for training). sorry for the confusion, but yeah, i meant that i'm catching myself squaring my shoulders, making myself a braod target.

anyway, they told me at my old gym that it was a horrible idea to try to switch midfight, but in my mind it doesnt seem like such a bad thing. seemed to me like it would confuse my opponent. generally, my right arm is my power arm, but i jab with it ALOT. I'm just thinking maybe if i were to work with my left arm to make it more powerful, then I could effectively switch stances mid fight and throw my opponent off.

Comment

anyone have any ideas?

Comment

bump.......=D

Comment

"noticed that I tend to jab with my rear hand"....what the fcuk??? FYI: that's not a jab.

I don't know you. But from what you described, it sounded like fooling around with boxing gloves as opposed to sparring.

More power to ya...

Comment

look if you "tend" to jab with your rear hand (in your case it be the right hand) and switch to southpaw dueing the sparring session I think you are a natural southpaw. Like myself I'm a righty, I write with my right and do everything with my right hand but when I get in the ring I feel more comfortable and I am more effective with the southpaw stance..........you either have really bad technique and dont know what ur doing or your a southpaw in the ring and your lieing to yourself........pick your posion and straight it out

Comment

Squabbles: I know its technically not a jab, its just the way that I throw the punch, I use my right to close the distance.

King: I've tried southpaw, it still feels super weird. However, I don't know if this is due to lack of practice as a southpaw or if i'm not one after all. heh

Comment

dude, may i ask what martial art did u study, or practice?

Comment

Originally posted by \/oid161 View Post
                    Squabbles: I know its technically not a jab, its just the way that I throw the punch, I use my right to close the distance.

King: I've tried southpaw, it still feels super weird. However, I don't know if this is due to lack of practice as a southpaw or if i'm not one after all. heh
                    if u use your right to close the distance you aren't boxing correctly.. case in point.. and to answer if you are a southpaw or not.. if you write, and throw with your right hand u are not a southpaw

Comment

Working...
                    X