Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is punching power simply a combination of speed and bodyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe because I fought, but I feel like this a lame topic and kind of embarrassing to see so many people act as if they're experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
      You are right I could have worded it better but I would not go quite as far as clenching as tightly as possible.It wants to be a lot tighter so there is no leakage but does not need too much more than that. You get the degree of clenching needed with experience.
      I think we're on the same page. What I meant by "as tightly as possible" is not to grind down so hard that you're too tense, but to clench so as to create a compact, solid mass. In my own experience, I've found that your fist indeed finds the right amount of tension with training and physical development.

Comment

Originally posted by Mneronava View Post
        Maybe because I fought, but I feel like this a lame topic and kind of embarrassing to see so many people act as if they're experts.
        The only lame post here would be one that points out how smug the other posts are while being smug itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mneronava View Post
          Nobody is claiming to be an expert, people are just giving different opinions. I like threads like this because you hear different perspectives. You're the one trying to come off as the expert, as if you're the only one here that's fought before. Fool.

Comment

Mass x Speed = Force. But there is an unknown multiplier due to skill/technique. We can call that an "Y' factor. This Y factor is due to how your body springs to carry out your punch, starting from the ground.

tl;dr: look at the vid.

Originally posted by Ido View Post
            /topic end
            Last edited by Ido; 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
              Power = force x distance / time. Which means the larger the force and the shorter the time, the greater the power.
              Wouldn't that mean Amir Khan should in theory be hitting the hardest in his weight division?
              He is probably the fastest and they weigh roughly the same and so he should hit harder than most if not all, but clearly that's not the case. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Fudgeit View Post
                Wouldn't that mean Amir Khan should in theory be hitting the hardest in his weight division?
                He is probably the fastest and they weigh roughly the same and so he should hit harder than most if not all, but clearly that's not the case. Am I missing something?
                Khan takes a lot of power of his shots so that he can throw quicker combos

Comment

Originally posted by Fudgeit View Post
                  Maybe he dosnt transfer weight as well?

Like Ali is faster than Earnie shavers but its obvious Ali is not commiting as much bodyweight.

But you are right if Ali committed all his bodyweight and used earnie shavers power punching mechanics and did it faster thatn earnie while weighing the same or more he still wouldnt hit anywhere near as hard imo, so theres more to it, its a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
                    Go to an ice rink wear normal shoes on the ice and get someone to hold the pads and punch away and see what happens. Your body is just as fast your weight is the same but there will be pathetic power. So something else is going on in normal circumstances to creat power. It is using the ground for leverage. You will hear of amateurs learning to sit down on their punches when the turn pro to load up the power. That is learning to use your body in such away to be able to use the ground as leverage for ground upwards power.
                    Great point mate thankyou!!!

Comment

For leverage in punching watch Rubin Carter.

Comment

Working...
                      X