No announcement yet.

Help with punching bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with punching bag

Hi there new to the forum and boxing for that matter! A few years back, I did quite a bit of kickboxing, but then unfortunately I had to get a knee reconstruction, following that i was pretty lazy! (using my knee as an excuse to get out of exercising!). anyway as of now, i am quite the unfit boy hehe, which i hear is very bad in boxing, and it'll come out in ways such as weak guard (always droppin and not snapping back fast enough) and also lazy feet (not moving around enough, or lack or rhythm), i recorded myself doin a light 3 minute workout and i guess all these traits are apparent! here is the video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6GHoDqBZ8 please have a look, if you have a youtube account u can comment my video too thanks!)

anyway my questions are, where do i start? how do i work more rhythm, i try moving around the bag (unfortunately its siting next to a bench due to lack of space), but i just cant dance like ali hehe, and its more like a bit of a walk around the bag.

ive also tried shadowboxing alot too, but is it just me, or is it really energy sapping? and it feels everythin is in slow motion, i cant punch as fast as if im on the bag.

anyway thats all for now, but i will definately keep you guys up to date with my progress and hopefully with your help!

thanks,

william

Originally posted by chensta View Post
    Hi there new to the forum and boxing for that matter! A few years back, I did quite a bit of kickboxing, but then unfortunately I had to get a knee reconstruction, following that i was pretty lazy! (using my knee as an excuse to get out of exercising!). anyway as of now, i am quite the unfit boy hehe, which i hear is very bad in boxing, and it'll come out in ways such as weak guard (always droppin and not snapping back fast enough) and also lazy feet (not moving around enough, or lack or rhythm), i recorded myself doin a light 3 minute workout and i guess all these traits are apparent! here is the video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6GHoDqBZ8 please have a look, if you have a youtube account u can comment my video too thanks!)

anyway my questions are, where do i start? how do i work more rhythm, i try moving around the bag (unfortunately its siting next to a bench due to lack of space), but i just cant dance like ali hehe, and its more like a bit of a walk around the bag.

ive also tried shadowboxing alot too, but is it just me, or is it really energy sapping? and it feels everythin is in slow motion, i cant punch as fast as if im on the bag.

anyway thats all for now, but i will definately keep you guys up to date with my progress and hopefully with your help!

thanks,

william
    one thing i can tell you is go to a boxing gym not kickboxing and start all over again from scratch so you dont develop bad habits and from watching that video you need to loosen up a little bit and when you hit the bag keep your chin tucked in more so when you hit you dont leave your head out in the air(it will be easier to hit when its sticking out) and also i see your hits are fast but your droping your hands right after you hit and thats not good bring em straight bag to your chin and when you throw a straight hit make sure your head rests on that shoulder so just incase you get countered your elbow will cover up half of your head leaving only 2 or 3 inches of your upper head open

Comment

when i do some 1,2's i can keep the guard tight, but whenever i do more, it gets realli loose, like im almost taking a shortcut from one punch to another, so when im throwin a battery of punches, how do i protect myself?

Comment

when i do some 1,2's i can keep the guard tight, but whenever i do more, it gets realli loose, like im almost taking a shortcut from one punch to another, so when im throwin a battery of punches, how do i protect myself?

Comment

extend those jabs more, and work on body shots. On a whole not bad, just remember that you should basically punch with the body, hit with the wrist, as my trainer says.

Peace

Trick

Comment

You drop your hands after most of your punches, and I couldnt tell your hooks apart from your jabs a lot of times. You also square yourself up sometimes. I think you should work on technique instead of going as fast as you can. You look pretty quick, but then again those look like 4-6 ounce gloves

You know what you're doing, you just need some tuning up.

Comment

Originally posted by chensta View Post
              theres no way you can just hit the bag and be a good defencive fighter you must go beyond a heavy bag and do drills,sparring,padwork(the person holding the pads smacks your chin after every combo ensuring you have your hands up) and many other things you can get in a boxing gym

Comment

o and by the way i like your dog harley man its a cool dog!

Comment

hehe thanks, i love my dog, took it when it was 3, previous owner had to move into a smaller apartment, no place for the dog.

anyway thanks for the tips guys, yes i am going to join a gym soon! one question ive always had, should you actually move while punching, or is it move, stabilise and then throw a combo and move again? and do you guys move your feet around in order to setup combos?

the other thing, i think im slighty less than 5'9 (174cm) and weight 60 kg's (132lbs?), but i am really unfit and even slightly fat, so i guess if i work out, i can lose a few pounds and get some muscle heh? im not realli well researched into boxing, but what kind of weight division would i be in? how fast would somebody of my weight punch, and how hard etc?

also im 19, so i still got a few years in me hehe, i am not looking to become the best hehe, but ive always enjoyed competitive sport, pitting yourself against another opponent!

Comment

chensta, welcome to the board man.

first, i like the accuracy of your punches. they also looked fairly crisp and clean. believe me, your little bag demo isn't bad at all. you're pretty quick too.

don't worry about the "hands up in guard" thing too much right now. that just basically serves to remind you to protect yourself. you can worry about the variations in boxing guards when you get into a gym.

anyway thanks for the tips guys, yes i am going to join a gym soon! one question ive always had, should you actually move while punching, or is it move, stabilise and then throw a combo and move again? and do you guys move your feet around in order to setup combos?
                    your movements with your punches should be one and the same. note, however, i practice chinese boxing, not western boxing. so my perspective will differ slightly than your regular american style boxers. both arts practice the same type of sparring though, although chinese pugulism has more variations as far as i have seen.

the other thing, i think im slighty less than 5'9 (174cm) and weight 60 kg's (132lbs?),
                    5'9" and you weigh app 132 lbs? you would roughly be looking at super featherweight or lightweight.

manny pacquiao, joel casamayor, marco anonio berrara, and juan diaz are just a few fighters you might want to check out as they are around your weight.

btw, keep some of the lessons you have learned from kickboxing - that is, if you trained it for a fair period of time. vitali klitschko, the last dominant heavyweight champ started out with karate and moved on to become a kickboxing champion before taking boxing as his major occupation. watch the way he moves and the subtle things he does to see how he brought his martial arts experience into boxing. that martial arts experience he had made him the toughest and most akward heavyweight to fight. manny steward, a famed boxing trainer, said vitali was the only fighter he ever saw who seemed to know when his opponent was going to punch before his opponent actually did.

keep us informed on how the transition from kickboxing to boxing goes.
                    Last edited by j; 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X