No announcement yet.

Are TRAINERS the Problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are TRAINERS the Problem?

I've read several articles and seen several videos lately that have brought up the opinion that trainers are not teaching fighters properly anymore. Basically anyone can be a trainer and many often do not have any experience or any idea about what they are actually doing and so a lot of fighters out there are not benefiting from being trained by experienced veteran trainers who know what they're doing. I know there are some big names out like Freddie Roach, Robert Garcia and others, but they do seem to be on the decline.

Any thoughts?

Pretty much anyone can be a trainer, and there are those that don't know what they're doing. However, it's the same with almost anything in life. There are people that don't perform well at their jobs, and those that excel. What are you going to do, though, if you're a fighter? All you can hope for is to be surrounded by the right people or find them.

Comment

That's an ignorant, know-it-all attitude. It's not like personal training/fitness. In a boxing gym, it quickly becomes apparent if a guy doesn't know what he's doing and he certainly doesn't accidentally end up training elite fighters. For you to assume you can sit there and make judgments, as if you know more than people who do this as their full-time jobs, and that these world-class fighters have no clue that they are being poorly trained, makes you sound like a fool.

Training is about communication. Some people click with others, some don't. Boxing exercises are simple but observing what more a fighter can do and communicating that to them is where the science of training gets deep. The trainer-fighter relationship is a lot more complex than you're realizing. It's not an easy equation and great trainer + great fighter does not necessarily = wins.
      Last edited by Redd Foxx; 02-23-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

That's a broad statement. If a trainer brought up a fighter through the amateurs to the world class stage he clearly knows what he's doing.

I respect the guy making moves and building contenders over the guys making YouTube videos or typing articles.

Comment

I've noticed that many of the ex-fighting journeyman trainers know what they are doing but are simply unable to give proper instructions between rounds because of brain damage, poor speech etc. they are just too slow to say what they really want to say

Comment

I happen to think the opposite. I think fighter's are too quick to blame trainer's and not take the responsibility for their losses or have too much pride to admit they lost a fight.

DLH was a textbook example of this. He'd change Trainer's like a fart changed directions and still blames his loss on Tito to his trainer but doesn't admit he ran like a chick waiting in line for stockings at Dillards.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              That's an ignorant, know-it-all attitude. It's not like personal training/fitness. In a boxing gym, it quickly becomes apparent if a guy doesn't know what he's doing and he certainly doesn't accidentally end up training elite fighters. For you to assume you can sit there and make judgments, as if you know more than people who do this as their full-time jobs, and that these world-class fighters have no clue that they are being poorly trained, makes you sound like a fool.

Training is about communication. Some people click with others, some don't. Boxing exercises are simple but observing what more a fighter can do and communicating that to them is where the science of training gets deep. The trainer-fighter relationship is a lot more complex than you're realizing. It's not an easy equation and great trainer + great fighter does not necessarily = wins.
              You see Kirkland's last trainer lol

Comment

Who says these things? I know I've heard from other trainers, but I just thought they were trying to hype themselves up by saying other trainers don't know the stuff they know.

Comment

Well, I've read it on many posts and sites. I see a lot of fighters who don't know how to fight on the inside fighting at the world class level. It makes me wonder what the problem is. There are a few like Brandon Rios who isn't bad, but he's not great either. GGG is a good one. I don't know. Seems like every fight is two guys keeping things on the outside and waiting for the other to make a mistake. Of course, the referees have a part in that as well.

Comment

The problem is there aren't any great trainers or a good amount of them

Comment

Working...
                    X