Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What era was weaker Rocky Marciano or the current heavyweight division now???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What era was weaker Rocky Marciano or the current heavyweight division now???

What era was weaker Rocky Marciano or the current heavyweight division now???

I thought about this question because Ruslan Chagaev is undefeated and if he retires undefeated will he be remembered as a ATG just like Rocky or will be discredit him??

Discuss
    Rocky Marciano's era
    33.33%
    Current heavyweight division
    66.67%

Anyone.....

Comment

Well since Rocky Marciano's era had Rocky Marciano, I'll go with the current HW's.

Comment

The current one. There's only 2 real heavyweights which is Wlad and Haye. The rest are just fat slobs who give boxing a bad name.

Comment

Hard to pick, Marciano's era had some good fighters like Roland LaStarza and even though they were getting up there in age Ezzard Charles and Joe Walcott were still very good fighters at the time. Rex Layne was pretty good as well but overall the division was pretty weak back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
            Hard to pick, Marciano's era had some good fighters like Roland LaStarza and even though they were getting up there in age Ezzard Charles and Joe Walcott were still very good fighters at the time. Rex Layne was pretty good as well but overall the division was pretty weak back then.
            yeah the division was weak back then but you still had charles and walcott plus a young patterson coming through the ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by duffgun View Post
              yeah the division was weak back then but you still had charles and walcott plus a young patterson coming through the ranks.
              If we go by the time when Rocky Marciano was the champion and retired (1952-1956), then the division had Marciano, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Roland LaStarza, Rex Layne, Nino Valdes, Bob Baker and Bob Satterfield at the top along with upcoming fighters such as Floyd Patterson, Cleveland Williams, Sonny Liston, Zora Folley and Ingemar Johansson.

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.ph...yweight--1950s
              Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-31-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

The answer is neither. It's the HW division when Tyson first ruled it.

Comment

Originally posted by mECHsLAVE View Post
                  The answer is neither. It's the HW division when Tyson first ruled it.
                  You can make a bid for now over when Tyson ruled it. At least when Tyson ruled it it was the Heavy Weight not the Super Duper Heavy Weight like it is now. I am sorry but I have no interest in watching a bunch of washed up basketball players who last names I cannot pronounce flop around and hold each other. Vlad is the most boring heavy weight champ I have seen in my entire life. It is like a announcement every time he throws a right hand. I think in one fight he didn't throw a punch other then a jab until the 5th round. the yneed to put a cap on the heavy Weght division again. Everyone says Tyson was bad at the end of his career but he was fighting guys 235 and up. Tyson was at his best at 210 - 220 max. Long gone is the fast heavy weight 5' 11 to 6' 2 200 - 220 now we have this 7' 1 monstrousity fighting this 6' 6 power forward. If I want to see that I will watch an NBA game. Put a cap on Heavy weights at 235 and call it a day if you cant make weight you can make money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                    If we go by the time when Rocky Marciano was the champion and retired (1952-1956), then the division had Marciano, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Roland LaStarza, Rex Layne, Nino Valdes, Bob Baker and Bob Satterfield at the top along with upcoming fighters such as Floyd Patterson, Cleveland Williams, Sonny Liston, Zora Folley and Ingemar Johansson.

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.ph...yweight--1950s
                    cool thanks for that link

Comment

Working...
                    X