Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Most Overrated ''Old School Fighter''?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Overrated ''Old School Fighter''?

Who is it??????????

Originally posted by winky44 View Post
    Who is it??????????
    I'm always apprehensive on this sort of question..
    As the first respondant.. I'm putting myself in the line of fire..
    This will undoubtedly upset some people..

Sugar Ray Robinson & Rocky Marciano fall into this category..

Although both ATG.. Some peoples opinions tend to go beyond the super human..
    By todays standards it would be B/Hop and Paul Williams..
    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Robinson's ability is clear to anyone who has watched him extensively. His combinations are fantastic and he was clearly extremely fast, durable and supremely fit.

I'm sure he'd do well at welter through middle in any era!

The guy I'll get into trouble about is Carlos Monzon, I never felt his actual ability was that high, even though his record was terrific. I honestly think that Hagler, Robinson and Hopkins were vastly superior fighters.

Comment

Easily Joe Louis and Ray Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
          Easily Joe Louis and Ray Robinson.
          wow........reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Robinson's ability is clear to anyone who has watched him extensively. His combinations are fantastic and he was clearly extremely fast, durable and supremely fit.

I'm sure he'd do well at welter through middle in any era!

The guy I'll get into trouble about is Carlos Monzon, I never felt his actual ability was that high, even though his record was terrific. I honestly think that Hagler, Robinson and Hopkins were vastly superior fighters.
            No it wasn't.. But he was 'Granite' hard...

An absolutely huge MW.. Would probably come in the ring nearer 175..

Tall, rangey & incredibly strong...

Even more amazingly.. He'd make Ricardo Myorga look like a choir boy when it came to partying.. Smoked & drank like a trooper.. He was wild....Really wild!

Comment

Originally posted by winky44 View Post
              wow........reasons?
              Joe Louis is often called the greatest Heavyweight of all time. They even have him in the top 3 ATGs P4P?? That's pukingly offensive. The lad had a bum of the month club title reign, was knocked down by virtually everybody even by bums, struggled with many of his opponents including Light Heavyweights, was brutally destroyed and made to QUIT in his prime against Schmeling. Not even top 3 HW.

SRR has more losses than he has great wins. I've seen much more succesful move ups in weight than the "GOAT". His era was not as dynamic and filled with greats as other fighters like Ali, Leonard or Duran etc.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson.. overrated?! That's insane. When you make a statement like that you have to have some serious evidence to back it up with. Obama produced a fantastic study into how great Sugar Ray Robinson was and I'm going to post it here, it's long but I'm going to say it's a great look into his fantastic and legendary career.

When Obama gets on, I hope he can post his breakdown as I wouldn't want to take his own work. It's fantastic though.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
                  Joe Louis is often called the greatest Heavyweight of all time. They even have him in the top 3 ATGs P4P?? That's pukingly offensive. The lad had a bum of the month club title reign, was knocked down by virtually everybody even by bums, struggled with many of his opponents including Light Heavyweights, was brutally destroyed and made to QUIT in his prime against Schmeling. Not even top 3 HW.

SRR has more losses than he has great wins. I've seen much more succesful move ups in weight than the "GOAT". His era was not as dynamic and filled with greats as other fighters like Ali, Leonard or Duran etc.
                  Wow, that's harsh.

You're entitled to your own opinion, as we all are.

But let me just say this ; The reason Joe Louis' title reign was labelled the "bum of the month club" was not because they were actual bums.

Joe just made them look like bums.
                  Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

For me willie pep and benny learnard are very overrated

Comment

Working...
                    X