No announcement yet.

Anyone else on keto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    It's OK short term but is no bueno over long periods as you not only get diminishing returns, but it will start to damage you.
    Short term results can be very effective, but don't last on their own if you aren't following up with decent diet and exercise.
    What bad effects did you see over time?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      What bad effects did you see over time?
      It's rough on the kidneys. You will stink, like a cat box (I had to just throw away some of my clothes that were haunted with keto stink). You'll start to feel like shyt. Cramps and other odd feelings, like a flu when you don't have a flu. Also, if you don't get a ton of fiber...

Studies on such diets have frequently shown them to be very effective at first, and results then taper off. It's sold as, "the way we were designed to eat", but that's marketing. Most people's bodies don't do well on it for long periods. If you don't give your body enough carbs it will convert other nutrients and you're then running a very inefficient machine.

That said, I've done variations on keto diets many times and they are great at kick starting a new workout phase. they encourage you by giving you quick results. When you start getting mad cravings and feel beat up, listen to your body and switch it up to something more balanced, like a mediterranean diet. I usually wait until about a week after the heavy cravings and discomfort set in, then I up the carbs a bit and ease the protein a little (though, as a matter of practice, I always take more protein and fewer carbs than the average diet, even when I'm not going for keto).

Comment

Keeto sure is a nice way to destroy your body. Nothing beats a whole foods plant based diet.

Prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
          I’ve only been on it for a few weeks now and I lost weight quick and I’m back in shape. I also have more endurance I feel like I can get legit back in the ring can’t believe I wasn’t doing this before.

For those of you who don’t know keto is basically cutting carbs out your diet (you can have up to 20g a day through vegetables) and making your body run on burning fats instead of carbs. I eat steak, eggs, and cheese all day and I’m in the best shape of my life right now.
          I used to do crazy **** to my body... Atkins... pritikin, etc... I was 5 percent body fat at 195 lbs... I can blow up fat easy... I’m an older man now, I just do pull ups pushups, dips, etc... I’m a lean 205 and my wife loves it... 53 and kut...

Comment

Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
            Keeto sure is a nice way to destroy your body. Nothing beats a whole foods plant based diet.

Prove me wrong.
            You eat that during keto.. you just don’t eat more than 20g carbs a day and just a plant based diet can deplete your b12 and cause a lot of problems.

Comment

Current fad diet, it'll fade away like the rest soon enough when people realize it's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
                Nothing beats a whole foods plant based diet.

Prove me wrong.
                I've gone vegetarian more than once and I was far less healthy than when I eat a balanced diet with meats and plants.

I respect those who don't eat animals and truly wish I could do the same without ill effects. However, when people act like they do it because it's superior, and not because of other considerations, I call bullshyt. I've worked in clinical nutrition and meat is a better way to get your aminos.

There. You're wrong.

Comment

Looked into it, gonna start next week and do it for about a month. Was told it won't differ much from when I fast for a week aside from I'll have a bit more energy since I'll actually be eating. I wonder what I can get down to, just did one of those bod pods on Friday and found out I'm at 12.3% body fat. We'll see what this Keyo diet can get me to

Comment

Nice thread, I also have almost the same question

Comment

Originally posted by terryna View Post
                      Nice thread, I also have almost the same question
                      Have you been using it?

Comment

Working...
                      X