Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What People Would Say to Criticize Past Fighters if the Internet Were Around Then

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What People Would Say to Criticize Past Fighters if the Internet Were Around Then

No fighters are immune to criticism nowadays, athletes as a whole are more nitpicked on the internet. Of course, it also gives people better insight as just to how disturbed some fans are by getting so emotionally attached to athletes and seemingly trying to live vicariously through them, but that's another story.

Here's what people in the past would've likely said about pre-internet era fighters.

Larry Holmes: unify damn it! Give a guy a rematch after he gives you a tough fight!

Salvador Sanchez: stop ducking Eusebio Pedroza!

Eusebio Pedroza: an uppercut to the testicles is not a scoring punch!

Sugar Ray Robinson: quit asking for too much money, and pulling out of all these fights at the last minute!

Aaron Pryor: you should've taken the $500,000 offer from Ray Leonard.

Sugar Ray Leonard: you should've offered more than $500,000 to Pryor. You low-balled him.

Marvin Hagler: stop ignoring the public challenges of the light-heavyweights and fight one of them.

Jack Johnson: (besides the racist comments). Fight a black contender!

Wilfred Benitez: train!

I bet they would treat Rocky like Joe Calzaghe

Comment

SRL - give hagler the rematch

Comment

I think it was Hyperion that said a while ago imagine how much hate Louis would have copped for fighting Conn.

Comment

Evander Holyfield got quite a bit a criticism in the boxing press during his first reign, when he fought Foreman, Cooper (although it was Tyson who pulled out of the fight), and then Holmes.

He would've been crucified on the message boards.

Roberto Duran would've gotten flack for not rematching Ken Buchanan. I'm sure there would've been more publicity about proposed Duran fights that Carlos Eleta turned down, and the criticism would go to both Eleta and Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
            I think it was Hyperion that said a while ago imagine how much hate Louis would have copped for fighting Conn.
            He was fighting every month that year up to that point, and so many HW champs before Louis were inactive, so I don't think the backlash would've been too bad.

The guy Louis took the title from, Braddock, I think was off 2 years after winning the title. People might've just been happy that we had a HW champ that was actually fighting often.

Comment

Jack Johnson:Tunney would have a field day

Comment

Originally posted by sugarshanenas View Post
                Jack Johnson:Tunney would have a field day
                Tunney wasn't fighting pro when Johnson was champ.

Comment

I think he meant Tunney the poster.

Joe Louis would have been labelled overrated and dissed for his level of competition, the Bum of the Month club would have been criticized heavily.

Comment

"I seen Jack Dempsey standing in the soup line this morning...he looks like he's getting fat."

Comment

Working...
                    X