No announcement yet.

On This Day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    The Surgeon, when you created this thread(s). Did you realize that most major fights and events did not happen during the Christmas holiday. It has generally been a down time for the sport, picking up after the new year.

But in the spirit of this thread and the holidays and I have another:

On this day,
    December, 22nd. ESPN TR Boxing

Kronk fighter Michael Moorer defended his wbo light heavyweight title with a 6th round stoppage over the usually durable Mike Sedillo. Moorer after the fight was 18-0, all by knockout.

On the off tv undercard Anthony Lopez stopped Terry Dockery. The only reason I mention this is Dockery was actually Eric Strickland, a fighter that would go around the country lose a fight and two nights later would fight somewhere else under a different name. The guy had over 70 fights before comissions caught on. Stickland retired with 135 fights but only won 13 of them.

Reminds me of Bruce "The Mouse" Strauss, who in his own right should be mentioned here sometime. He was a great story.

I realize this is trivial stuff, but someone might want to read it.
    Lol that was interesting, thanks for sharing TBear.

Yeah i understand that but was kinda hoping this thread would last a good while and roll into the busier months. On quieter times like the X mas period other things happen, Fighter births, passings and other stuff other than actual fights. Plus the section was seeming real quiet so just wanted to contribute

Comment

Well then how about we post something about the holidays, what famous fights took place in history in December or what you guys usually do during this time of the year?

Comment

chiguy91, I believe The Surgeon meant things that happened in the past on this date. The stickied thread is for the regulars here to discuss current events with the hope the history section will be sparred from all the threads involving Mayweather, the Klitschko's, and all the other active fighters that belong in the NSB.

I don't know why there are so many though.

but I believe this is what he meant for this thread:

On this day,
        December 21st, 1985
        Evander Holyfield 7-0 impressed by stopping top ten cruiserweight contender Anthony Davis in the fourth round. It was quite a pre-Christmas treat offered by the ABC Network as they also aired an eight rounder featuring Mark Breland outpointing Hedgemon Robertson and Tyrell Briggs stopping journeyman Tony Anthony in the first round. Also aired was an eight round junior light weight bout as Meldrick Taylor beat Victor Acosta by unanimous decision.
        All in all it was a good card but Holyfield stole the show with his impressive showing over a high ranked opponent!
        (I just made this up with the memory of the telecast, it is not copied)
        my mistake. i could have sworn i seen McGoorty or someone make a post in that thread beginning with "on this day..." or something similar to it (basically the same concept of what The Surgeon created this thread for). anyways, great thread idea The Surgeon! i'm not an active member in the history section, but it sounds like a great thread and i'll be sure to check it out from time to time.

Comment

Sorry, Surgeon. Was trying to inject some sarcastic humor into the thread. Didn't mean any offense.

--

On this day, in 1942: My father was born (RIP), and Don Mullett knocked out Maurice Strickland to win the New Zealand Boxing Association's heavyweight championship. Mullett would defend that title six times, lose it, and regain it in 1952. He had a few more fights, and then presumably was pecked to death by a kiwi bird.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Sorry, Surgeon. Was trying to inject some sarcastic humor into the thread. Didn't mean any offense.

--

On this day, in 1942: My father was born (RIP), and Don Mullett knocked out Maurice Strickland to win the New Zealand Boxing Association's heavyweight championship. Mullett would defend that title six times, lose it, and regain it in 1952. He had a few more fights, and then presumably was pecked to death by a kiwi bird.
            Dont worry about it, thought u were serious but never mind dude. Good post also!

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
              my mistake. i could have sworn i seen McGoorty or someone make a post in that thread beginning with "on this day..." or something similar to it (basically the same concept of what The Surgeon created this thread for). anyways, great thread idea The Surgeon! i'm not an active member in the history section, but it sounds like a great thread and i'll be sure to check it out from time to time.
              Thanking U! U should try and post here more often mate, its quiet and a lot slower but the quality of most of the posting makes up for the lack of quantity!
              Last edited by The Surgeon; 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                Thanking U! U should try and post here more often mate, its quite and a lot slower but the quality of most of the posting makes up for the lack of quantity!
                Could not agree more about quality posts here. And very knowledgeable posts too.

Comment

Today in boxing, 1978 Roberto Duran KO'd his big lightweight rival Esteban De Jesus in the 12th round with the WBA and WBC titles at stake

Comment

23 years ago today the entire world was shocked to see Mike Tyson on the canvas trying to find his mouth piece as referee Octavio Meyran counted ten.

Comment

23 years ago today the entire world was shocked to see Mike Tyson on the canvas trying to find his mouth piece as referee Octavio Meyran counted ten.
                      Was just about to post this!

Comment

Working...
                      X