Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you honestly rate Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he is excellent. I am also left with a question of exactly how good he is and was. I tend to think he has diminished a bit. Had he had the opportunity to face some of the best middleweights earlier I think he'd clearly be one of the best without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
      H2H top of the line elite fighter who would give the best middleweights a tough fight and would be 50/50 to win against them in my eyes. Resume very strong but nothing crazy.

Personally, I think he is outside his prime at this point, logically speaking (i mean he is what 36/37... that's old for a fighter). One of the best power jabs, one of the best Chins, Crazy stamina, very good fundamentals and boxing IQ. I wish that he had a chance to mix it up with the best of them in his early 30s... but unfortunately, the best waited until he was out of his physical prime to mix it up.
      If I had waited a few minutes before I posted you would have captured my thoughts pretty exactly.

Comment

he's an A+ fighter unfortunately for him the guys who where on that level knew they were no match for him and avoided him.

Comment

I think he's the best middleweight since Hopkins. Now that's not exactly the toughest competition, but Taylor, Pavlik, and Martinez weren't slouches either. I think highly of Golovkin to say he's better than all of them.

He definitely has his flaws, but the man has a shotgun jab and is well-schooled behind it. His chin is A+, his pressure is among the best in the sport, and he's one of the best finishers.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
            If I had waited a few minutes before I posted you would have captured my thoughts pretty exactly.
            I think most logically sound boxing fans feel that way.

Comment

Have to classify him as elite for sure. Undefeated and highest KO percentage in MW history. Can't deny that record.

Comment

Basically a B fighter

A stellar amateur fighter, and a fighter who was on the way to maybe being something special as a pro, before getting with Abel Sanchez and having his whole style ******ed in a way to become stereotypically "TV friendly".

He's a B/B+ fighter who had the chance to maybe develop into an A- fighter had he not have gone with Abel Sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
                  ggg didnt get the canelo fight til 2017.

the ward fight would have happened in 2016.

excuse after excuse
                  When Ward was at 175 unable to make 168 by his own admission?
                  Do you know who cancelled the GGG - Canelo fight and dropped the belt?

Comment

He's the best middleweight since Hopkins/Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      you are referring to andre "i need a tuneup" ward even though he just had a tune up vs paul smith? when will reality set in. that fight was not happening. why would ggg preemptively postpone the wbc fight against cotto-canelo for a whole year to sign that 2 fight contract against a tune-up then ward? its illogical. a one off fight yeah that makes sense because he can take step aside money if they werent ready but that was never offered and ward never returned to 168.

if you haven't noticed ward is insanely hard to deal with. look how he refused to join the super six unless he got all home town fights when everyone else only got 1. look at the negotiaions for dawson or kovalev rematch. its either do everything his way or no fight. this makes sense against certain guys but ggg was even more popular than ward then so it made little sense when comparing the two. factor in the wbc winner being so much bigger than ward...easy decision to turn down that 2 fight offer. also making an offer of his own was pointless since ward himself said he wasn't ready and needed tune ups so once again illogical to tihnk ward would have accepted.

this isnt to say ward wouldnt have fought him. if he got all his conditions the way he wanted he would have because thats the only time he fights but his conditions weren't realistic. also did we really need another clinching foul fest of a fight? when has ward ever cleanly outboxed someone? abraham and barrera(besides the lowblows) he was in control but every other meaningful fight just devolves into tragedy with him(yes even second half of froch fight when froch started coming on thats when ward went into his phone booth and turned into clinchyman)
                      Keep telling yourself that lie, lol.

Andre Ward fought Paul Smith, was 172lbs with 3 weeks to that fight, and then went on national TV, called Golovkin out of his name/moniker, and told the world that he wanted that smoke.

Golovkin, after talking all that **** about "anyone 154-168", tried to hide behind "let's fight at 164lbs instead", and has seen the world spit on his name from that moment on. Lol

Comment

Working...
                      X