No announcement yet.

back strengthening exercises...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back strengthening exercises...

I have got a few compressed nerves in my back and my doctor has told me that I need to strengthen my back muscles, a part of my body that I have neglected over the years just because I was lucky and I could. It's caught up to me and the only way to make the pains go away are to go out and stretch, run, stretch, jump rope but after a few hours everything starts to seize up again. I need a long term solution that does not include pain meds, I have got a whole medicine chest full of that crap.

Any help that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I've had back problems as well...stretches is a big part of releiving that pain. What I do in the morning is spread my legs shoulder width apart and touch the ground between my feet with out bending knees, and then reaching forward without bending knees...

Another stretch is sitting on the ground and have feet spread in the 9-12 position and reach your hands to the 10 oclock position and hold at least 10 seconds

this site should help with the strengthening, good luck

http :// www .lowback-pain. com/exercise.strength.back. htm

Comment

Lower back

Yoga and the nautilus lower back machine worked wonders for me. Forget deadlifts, they will wreck your back.

Comment

belly dancing.

Comment

The back is complicated so I'm not sure if anyone on here knows enough to give you the right advice. Are you sure that certain back-strengthening exercise (like weight lifting) wouldn't mean risking further injury?

Comment

pull ups and supermans. we all know what pull ups are.

supermans: lay on your stomach and lift your chest up. try to keep your feet/legs on the ground the best you can.

Do both until failure, 3 times. Go from pull ups, immediately into supermans, then right back to pull ups, repeat till finished. Your back will get stronger in no time. Yes you can rest between them but don't rest for more than 60 secs.

You may also want to do planks and leg lifts. That way you keep your torso in balance. Chest workouts too(ie: bench press or push ups). The more your body is balanced, the less possibility for injury.

Proper form and technique beats speed and reps. It's better to only be able to do 3 perfect pull ups than 10 shoddy ones.
            Last edited by F l i c k e r; 07-06-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              The back is complicated so I'm not sure if anyone on here knows enough to give you the right advice. Are you sure that certain back-strengthening exercise (like weight lifting) wouldn't mean risking further injury?
              My doc told me that weights are likely not the answer. Something more along the lines of stretches, and mild exercises ie; planking. I am just at a loss as to what I should be doing.

Comment

I deadlift 400 lbs and my back is wacky, I need to stretch regularly or I have very nasty back pain. Pull ups are good for upper back, and as you mentioned planks would be good as well. Hope you figure it out, back problems suck

Comment

i think any athlete or anybody that moves around has back problems. it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by tim horton View Post
                    I have got a few compressed nerves in my back and my doctor has told me that I need to strengthen my back muscles, a part of my body that I have neglected over the years just because I was lucky and I could. It's caught up to me and the only way to make the pains go away are to go out and stretch, run, stretch, jump rope but after a few hours everything starts to seize up again. I need a long term solution that does not include pain meds, I have got a whole medicine chest full of that crap.

Any help that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
                    Yo I had the same problem as you, and stretching was the one that has relived it so much I tried lifting weights and I F#$# it up more... I took a yoga class and I started to feel the difference right away and now I stretch daily and It has helped alot..... And yeah they told me the same thing and they gave me a whole lot of muscle relaxers... But stretching is the way to go homie

Comment

Working...
                    X