No announcement yet.

Best era of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best era of boxing

we have top 3 from each decade except b4 1960(all in my opinon)
    b4 1960- marcenao, louis, johnson
    1960-ali, liston, patterson
    1970- foreman, frazier, norton (ali cannot be included twice)
    1980-holmes, tyson, not realli a 3rd star
    1990-lewis, holyfeild, bowe
    2000-now-klitscho only really good fihter IMO

which era was the best?

Originally posted by oakleyno1

which era was the best?
    What a dissapointment....

You name all the heavyweights but not Duran, Hearns, Leonard, Benitez, Hagler, Chavez, Whitaker, De La Hoya, Robinson, Lamotta, Basilio, Griffith, etc.

Comment

70s if you talk hws, and yes of course you can, you have to, throw in ali and holmes twice

but frankly i don't care too much about hws.

I think the combination of leonard, hagler, duran, hearns is as close as we get to boxign paradise

Comment

Originally posted by oakleyno1

which era was the best?
        You're going by decades, whereas the 60's to the early 80's were an "era" of boxing. They had the legends you mentioned there. Ali, Foreman, Fraizer, Norton, Liston, Holmes, Shavers, etc, etc. That was an "era." Also, you should have put heavyweight, because you left out tons of great fighters, as everyone has said. The 80's could have included Spinks, since you had Holmes there.

Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Robinson, De la Hoya, Whitaker, Chavez, etc, etc.

Finally "Kiltschko the only really good fighter IMO" makes you sound ******ed. Everyone knows that Vitali is a ****ing chump.
        Last edited by BadMagick; 08-02-2005, 01:44 PM.

Comment

ill take the 70's, but with ali on that list. that was the best time for heavyweights imo, but best for boxing was the early eighty's with hagler, hearns, duran and leonard

Comment

i apologise i ment in HW not the lower weight divs- the only reason i say vitali is a decent fighter is because of the match vs lewis even if lewis was past his peak and even if hes not hes the beast oyut in the HW 2day

Comment

Got to be the 70s I dont think you'll ever get so many good fighters all at the same time ever again.(thank God for vcr's).

Comment

70s prime duran, and early 80

Comment

the 70s with ali, foreman, frazier, norton, holmes, shavers,...
                  a close second would be 60s with quess who, aliii, liston patterson, terrel, folley,....

Comment

The 1920's: "The Roaring Twenties" launches America into greater lengths and power it has never seen before, while boxing finds the it's best fighter yet in Jack Dempsey. Dempsey, like America, continues to "roar" throughout the 20's.

The 1930's: While America and the world faced a time of depression and an economical crisis, boxing has a time of mediocre (at best) champions: Baer, Braddock, and Charles. At the tailend of the 30's, American pulls itself out of the Great Depression, and boxing hero Joe Louis pulls boxing out of it's slump.

The 1940's: While America enters WWII and the world faces the biggest war yet, Joe Louis (a symbol from the war) still dominates the boxing scene. Because of it's heroic performance in the war, America is launched into glory and power like no other country in the world. Joe Louis is turly the most heroic boxer at the time and secures himself as the greatest boxer of all-time.

The 1950's: While the world is rebuilding from the war, boxing is looking for people to match up to the previous reign of Joe Louis. America, Britain, and France are shown to be the world leaders from their performances in global reconstruction. Rocky Marciano, Archie Moore, and Jersey Joe Walcott are shown to be good, courageous leaders as they all become champions.

The 1960's: The 60's was a time of youth, boldness, and rebellion. And that's exactly what boxing produced: a young, brash, rebellious Cassius Clay. Changing his name to Muhammad Ali, he dominated the scene, and was stripped of his title and boxing license in 1967, nearly the exact time of the start of the Vietnam War. Boxing then becomes an all-out "war" in itself to find the owner of the vacant heavyweight championship.

The 1970's: While the rebellious ways of the 60's are still found in the 1970's (which is very symbolic, for Muhammad Ali returned to boxing in 1970), America's youth and "badass" look starts to get popular, and people are soon driven by hate and anger, instead of will and pride. 2 of the decade's best champions, George Foreman and Joe Frazier, were both driven by a red-eyed hatred from their rough lives. Most of America was starting to have rough lives. The most famous clashes of the 70's were the legendary wars between Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali, representing the split of America during the Vietman War. Muhammad Ali retires from boxing, and most of the rebllious ways of America are gone.

The 1980's: The 80's was truly a decade of many faces. The early 80's was a nice, non-violent time while classy, joyful champion Larry Holmes holds the title. The mid and late 80's was a time of "badass" and IN YOUR FACE, and no other heavyweight champion has shown this like Mike Tyson. While the 70's had it's intimidating monster in George Foreman, the 80's was more in your face and violent, as was Tyson.

The 1990's: Like the 50's, the 90's was a good time for America. Great champions are presented: Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, and Riddick Bowe. The "badass" impressions are still here (Tyson is still in the scene, and George Foreman comes out of retirement to win the heavyweight championship again). While America's society is getting crazier and crazier and foreshadowing to dark, violent time, boxing loses all 3 of the main champions of the decade (Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe) and there is no one decent to take the role as a leader.

Comment

Working...
                    X