Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Why Broner Can Act Out (For Now)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Why Broner Can Act Out (For Now)

by David P. Greisman - More than one story about Adrien Broner mentioned another once-promising prospect to come out of Cincinnati, a man who once seemed a local hero destined for stardom, only to become the disappointing protagonist within a cautionary tale.

Ricardo Williams Jr. fought out of the same gym, shared the same trainer. Broner, eight years younger, at first could look at Williams as a role model to admire. But as Williams squandered his potential, sabotaged his own career and was sentenced to prison on cocaine trafficking charges, Broner could only recognize the poor decisions as examples of what to avoid.

“It hurt me because he was somebody who I’d seen who really had a chance to be one of the biggest, biggest guys in the sport,” Broner told Bryan Armen Graham of Sports Illustrated last year.

“He’s a big brother to me,” Broner told Jay Caspian Kang of Grantland earlier this year. “I know where I come from. I came from nothing, and I have a chance to do something that happens once in a lifetime. There are only a couple people who can wake up and say that they're a world champion, a multimillionaire, and a successful superstar. I don't want to mess this up. Ever.”

Sports have been a vessel by which so many youth have been diverted away from disaster and toward discipline. Boxing gyms have long run programs in rough city neighborhoods, providing solace from chaos, channeling kids’ unrestrained youthful energy into a controlled, constructive form of violence. [Click Here To Read More]

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Why Broner Can Act Out (For Now)
    he yung doe

Comment

it all good, he young doe

Comment

Ahhh... it's all coming together now. Ricardo Williams was once a role model of his....a while back I saw Williams playing pool at a strip club my buddies and I were getting at. Not exactly the spot to say whats up, so I wasn't sure it was him, but I knew he was a southpaw and he was shooting the stick lefty so . It was before he got locked up and it looked like he was doing "business"...the type of business youd expect in a strip club and probably the type he got locked up for lol. And no, Williams didn't go face first into the stippers like Broner.......

as for me....
        Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Good analysis about GBP having 7 of the top 11 ratings on HBO last year. I knew that Golden Boy brought a lot of value to the network but couldn't find the hard data to back it up.

Comment

El Chico Es joven

Comment

Horrible writer and crappy article, forgot to mention that Broner is young doe. SMH

Comment

in the ring broner has the potential to be a great champion at 140 and 147.out side the ring he has the potential to throw it all away. you have to change certain things.he's better off doing that.everybody making big money is a target from everybody coming from everywhere.its all about how you conduct yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  Horrible writer and crappy article, forgot to mention that Broner is young doe. SMH
                  i am shocked and appauled that it wasnt touched on.

Comment

He's young and in a good position but unfortunately he's at that crossroads where he's going to have to prioritize or change it up a bit. This is about the age it started unraveling for Tyson and other young phenoms of the sport. He's also in a sticky situation because he's also being paid for club appearances which is great income but puts him live and center with a greater likelihood of trouble. Mix jealousy and alcohol =Trouble. I hope tho since he's got his pops in his corner it helps keep him balanced and on the path.

Comment

Working...
                    X