Pernell Whitaker vs. Floyd Mayweather at 147

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at 147? Mayweather

Comment

Wasn't the rumors that a young Fraud schooled Whitaker during sparring coming from many different sources.

Comment

Originally posted by w1cked View Post
        Not 100% sure if floyd hits harder. Pea dropped welterweights bigger than him and knocked a few of them out, and would be willing to take more risks than floyd.

remember when hurtado was ahead of pernell in their fight, then pernell went for the gusto and knocked him out?
        Actually I now remember hearing often how he would spar with bigger guys and hurt them. Floyd took chances and was a killer in the lighter weights. As a welterweight hec no. He truly is a junior welterweight at the most. Good point

Comment

Not 100% sure if floyd hits harder. Pea dropped welterweights bigger than him and knocked a few of them out, and would be willing to take more risks than floyd.

remember when hurtado was ahead of pernell in their fight, then pernell went for the gusto and knocked him out?
          Pea beat up the big guys in sparring that is

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            This is kind of how I see it, maybe you give Floyd a slight edge because of his dimensions but he also struggled landing on southpaws...

My gut says Floyd was a little sharper, and a bit better in most departments, but def a close fight
            And the first 6 rounds not a punch would be thrown. Next 6 then it would get interesting. Max Kellerman would be spewing everywhere.

Comment

''Whitaker via KO''

Comment

A person can't mention Pea w/o mentioning Hurtado

I recall it took Pea 100 (slight exaggeration) unanswered punches to finally end it.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                  A person can't mention Pea w/o mentioning Hurtado

I recall it took Pea 100 (slight exaggeration) unanswered punches to finally end it.
                  The first one was all it took to get Hurtado in trouble though.

I mentioned Hurtado not only to examine Pea's underrated power, but also because it was an example of how Pernell is more willing to take risks when he is down on points

Floyd took no such risks against Oscar, Maidana 1, or Castillo 1, fights he could've lost.

I agree with chirorickyp that the second half of a theoretical Floyd vs Pea matchup would be super interesting.

Comment

The first one was all it took to get Hurtado in trouble though.

I mentioned Hurtado not only to examine Pea's underrated power, but also because it was an example of how Pernell is more willing to take risks when he is down on points

Floyd took no such risks against Oscar, Maidana 1, or Castillo 1, fights he could've lost.

I agree with chirorickyp that the second half of a theoretical Floyd vs Pea matchup would be super interesting.
                    Easy to unload on a guy who's stunned. I didn't know Hurtado was supposed to be some threat to a vet like Pea, though. Up until that point, he wasn't really tested.

Prior to moving up to WW, may had a very respectable KO %. Even with his well documented hand issues. He moved up and left his power behind and faced guys who were bigger and stronger. I'd say thats taking plenty of risks.

Hurtado........God bless him

Comment

Working...
                    X