No announcement yet.

Damaged hands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged hands

I wanted to do an hour's fitness session on the bag today and my right hand started getting sore after about 25 minutes, so I quit on the half hour.

Any idea why it might've been getting sore, I used the following hand-wraps

http://www.melbournefitnessequipment...s/everlast.jpg

under the following gloves:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Any advice, thicker boxing gloves?

you should invest in some real handwraps. the slip on glove wraps might protect the knuckles, but dont provide enough protection to the wrist and the other small bones in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by AliShaheed View Post
      you should invest in some real handwraps. the slip on glove wraps might protect the knuckles, but dont provide enough protection to the wrist and the other small bones in your hands.
      yeah it's a fair point but it's the knuckles that are hurting, specifically, the two outside knuckles on the right hand.

What about the actual gloves, does it matter what type or size they are in terms of cushioning?

Comment

I wear the everlast wraps under some 180'' mexican wraps for added protection. You should also buy some training gloves (14 or 16oz) instead of those flimsy bag gloves that provoide no cushioning.

Comment

did you just start out? if so thats normal your hands arent used to that kind of punishment. if not you should get some old school hand wraps (long ones) first and then make sure you hit the bag the right way. and dont go crazy on the bag, dont try to punch holes in it. if youre new to boxing you can easily break bones in your hand if you do that. do like 70% or so

ALSO
          those gloves are more for advanced boxers. the padding is really thin. most people use them for mitt work. like 11 said you should def get some new gloves, dont have to be expensive gloves (make sure theyre bag gloves not sparring ).

start out slow at first

Comment

youre probably trying to kill the bag, trust me, it wont die. and with the stuff youre using, youll end up breaking your hand. You can hit the bag hard with 16oz gloves and real handwraps, but not your gloves.

That glove wrap and those gloves youre using offer about 10% protection compared to 16oz gloves and 180 mexican handwraps. And again, no wrist support with those glove wraps. theyre not even wraps really.

Like everyone else said, invest in better equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
              did you just start out? if so thats normal your hands arent used to that kind of punishment. if not you should get some old school hand wraps (long ones) first and then make sure you hit the bag the right way. and dont go crazy on the bag, dont try to punch holes in it. if youre new to boxing you can easily break bones in your hand if you do that. do like 70% or so
              Starting using the bag for fitness around Christmas time, it was hurting my hands with just the gloves so I bought some everlast under-gloves but eventually it started to hurt with those too after about 20 minutes. Not really going crazy on the bag, I think it's the repetition which does the damage.

ALSO
              those gloves are more for advanced boxers. the padding is really thin. most people use them for mitt work. like 11 said you should def get some new gloves, dont have to be expensive gloves (make sure theyre bag gloves not sparring ).

start out slow at first
              The gloves that came with the bag had even less padding, I wouldn't even think of using those. Any idea of an example of which type of gloves I should consider investing in?
              Last edited by Weebler I; 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I used to have a similar problem .Have you got any sponge .I cut a sponge in half and just used a mexincan style wrap over the top of it or 2 halfs of a sponge .It works good .
                http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240884

Comment

xylocaine is your best friend ....

Comment

Originally posted by shogunn View Post
                    That glove wrap and those gloves youre using offer about 10% protection compared to 16oz gloves and 180 mexican handwraps. And again, no wrist support with those glove wraps. theyre not even wraps really.
                    Would 18oz gloves provide more protection?

Comment

Working...
                    X