No announcement yet.

Training for the Training: Need Advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for the Training: Need Advice

Since I'm in a situation where I can't go to a gym until May (closest gym is almost 100 miles away), I'm stuck doing workouts at home. I want to do my best to avoid developing terribly hard to break bad habits as best as I can, but I want to train as much now as I can so when I do start going to the gym, I can already be in good condition and will be further along than the average joe who just walks in the gym one day. Here's what my tentative training regimine is for the time being:

jump rope warm-up 3-5 min.
    25 pushups
    50 5 lb v-ups
    25 pushups
    30 5 lb sit-ups
    25 pushups
    50 5 lb v-ups
    shadow boxing 3 min
    3x rope bob & weave + throwing 3 min
    3x lower back workout (I call them supermans L,R, and Both sides) 15 reps
    3x neck workouts each direction 10 reps
    jump rope 3-5 min
    3x shadow boxing with weight 3 min (alternate between 5, 2, and 1 lb weights each day)
    25 pushups
    30 5 lb sit-ups
    25 pushups
    50 5 lb v-ups
    25 pushups
    30 5 lb sit-ups
    jump rope 5 min

road work (mon-400/800 repeats, tues- easy 6-7, wed- tempo run 4-6, thurs- ladder workout-100/200/400/800/800/400/200/100, fri- easy 5-7, sat-long run 10-12)
    i workout 6 days a week with minimal rest between exercises although i do do my road work early in the day and my workout late at night. and i take sundays off to play basketball, do homework, etc.

also work a little bit every other day on defensive maneuvers (mostly just blocking and slips but i try not to work too much on that for fear of developing an unchangable habit. maybe i can post a vid sometime for yall to break down my technique and help me to correct anything wrong). on the nights i don't do this, i finish off my workouts with a minute burnout on the heavy bag.

right now, the majority of techniques i practice come from jack dempsey's "championship fighting", "boxing's ten commandments", rossboxing.com reading, and Title's "Freddie Roach's Fundamentals of Boxing" DVD.

i know the workout is a little bit weak and has a ton of holes, so i'm coming to you guys to ask what i could add to it or change whether it be other workouts or just upping reps or time on certain things. i just started with the jump roping so i dont think im ready to add anymore time on that yet, but everything else im definately up for suggestions. any other tips are great too.

im 5'6"-7" and weigh 130
    Thanks in advance for ANY advice

let me ask you this..

at the end of every workout are you exhausted?

Comment

not really, just pretty tired. my back is tight and my shoulders are a little tired (especially in the workouts toward the end of the week), but it feels like im missing something still

Comment

I got an idea!

Try to buy your own equipment. Thats what i did. Go unattached if your tryin' to box. Run a few miles, work your way up from 1 mile to 4 miles or 3 miles. Intense shadowboxing. Find someone to spar. Jump rope. Sprints. you know!

Comment

what I do, is.

2 rounds of 3 minutes shadowboxing. stretch.
          3 rounds of 3 minutest shadowboxing
          3 rounds of 3 minutes rope jumping
          3 rounds of 3 minutes shadowboxing
          5min rest, go run 3 miles.
          back, clothes off, bag work 20 minutes continues.
          then do a punch out 10 minutes.
          then 200 situps, and 50 pushups.
          I could continue with all kind of exercies when i have time, most of the time by the end of it, its like 4 hours later.

stretch
          hydro shower so cold /warm.

Note: ass time progresses i get better, i switch up, and do more anearobic exercises wich i throw in there, exchange the run for sprints + burpees etc.
          and do explosive pushups between rounds.

Comment

do you do a minute rest between rounds? and then how long do you stretch for/ rest between sets? that looks like a real good workout right there.

and as far as equipment im saving whatever money i get and getting stuff little by little. right now what i have on hand is 1,2, and 5 pound weights, a heavy bag/ bag gloves and wrist wrap, set of head gear, set of 14 oz gloves, weighted jump rope, and a 5 pound medicine ball.
            what do you suggest would be the most important thing to put next on the list?

Comment

1 minute. yes. my Stretches are really long, because i think a flexible body is very very important.

Comment

i agree. that's definately one of my weakest points. well i'll try out that workout tonight and see how it goes. i really appreciate all the help from everybody.

any advice on the equipment?

Comment

well that workout definately kicked my butt. appreciate it moin. cant wait to do it again tomorrow

Comment

thats a good workout moin

Comment

Working...
                    X