Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do You Feel Bernard Hopkins Was Never A Big PPV Draw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do You Feel Bernard Hopkins Was Never A Big PPV Draw?

His recent fight with Dawson looks like it got just 40k buys. Which is just beyond terrible.

And the question is why has Hopkins never been a big PPV star? He only ever got big buyrates with a big draw etc Oscar, Trinidad.

He talks lots of trash, has a amazing lifestory & is a record breaker. I know you may say his style, but even back in the day when he was exciting still no PPV draw.

?

Most of his fights totally suck. The last fight I attended live was with Hopkins, and not coincidently I haven't been back since. It was a dreadful bore and a waste of money. Two of the three worst recent PPV main events featured Hopkins (the other one was Mosley-Mora).

Comment

Besides his style, which isn't fan friendly, Hopkins is incredibly inconsistent in how he fights. Sometimes he is confident and uses his great skills to provide fantastic performances. Then the very next fight he'll flop, whine, foul, and make you never want to watch boxing again.

The good never outweighed the bad enough to make Hopkins a draw, and his personality certainly never appealed to the majority either.

Comment

If the Hopkins of the 90s would of gotten the big fights he is getting now he would of been a big star

Comment

Honest answers that might be taken as rude or ignorant:

1). He is old.
          2). He is a boring fighter.
          3). He is a dirty fighter.

Comment

He didn't get much build-up back when he could turn in the odd exciting performance. Now that he does get coverage, his fights are awfully boring for the most part. The only reason anybody would pay to see him is because he operates at such a high level despite his age.

Credit to him for the Pascal and Pavlik fights but you had the Roy Jones, Dawson and Calzaghe fights in between. There were moments in those fights that surely left the buyers questioning why they follow the sport at all.

Hopkins should fight on free TV because you can't take away the fact that he is still a top level boxer despite how old and boring he may be. He should have the right to fight and to get paid, but not on pay-per-view.

Comment

Originally posted by AmeriFil View Post
              Honest answers that might be taken as rude or ignorant:

1). He is old.
              2). He is a boring fighter.
              3). He is a dirty fighter.
              Sounds accurate to me.

Comment

Obviously his style. It's the same reason Andre Ward will never be a PPV draw. It has to be the right opponent that will be fan friendly.

For example his rematch against Pascal was the highest rated HBO boxing since 2009 (1.8 million viewers). So people will tune in to watch him against the right opponent, with the right hype and the right buzz. They just don't want to pay PPV money for it.

Also, who is a PPV draw in boxing right now? Pacquiao. Floyd. Cotto. Who else? That's basically it. There are no PPV draws in boxing anymore besides 2-3 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Most of his fights totally suck. The last fight I attended live was with Hopkins, and not coincidently I haven't been back since. It was a dreadful bore and a waste of money. Two of the three worst recent PPV main events featured Hopkins (the other one was Mosley-Mora).
                  After that fight I promised myself I would never watch a Sergio Mora fight again.

I haven't broken my promise.

Comment

Working...
                  X