No announcement yet.

Thinking in the ring..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking in the ring..

my boxing skills are good..everybody in my gym says that im one of the best in there when they see me hittin the mitts and pads..but when i spar its like a different story..i no exactly how to beat a guy that beats me..my problem is thinking in the ring..and that is my only problem and that is the most important thing while boxing..latley ive been trynna really visualize in shadow boxing..soo is that the hole trick to thinking?visualizing your opponent? wut else helps thinking in the ring?

Good, fast padwork will build good reactions. You don't really have a whole lot of time to be like hmm, well he's throwing a hook. I think I'll bob under it then weave right, and depending on if his arm is up or down, perhaps throw a punch... It's all split second thinking. Takes practice man, lots of padwork, and lots of sparring too. Also, just think a lot, it's basically all I think about when I go to bed. I go over situations in my head like a QB goes over plays. Come go time, it's gotta flow naturally, you don't really have a whole lot of time to think. It'll come. How old are you? Also, I don't find shadowboxing very useful in that respect, but I'm sure 95% of boxers do, the key is just think about it man, before the fight. That, along with work to improve your reactions and instincts will help you "think" better in the ring. It'll just take a bit of patience.

Peace,
    Trick

Comment

I've got very little training experience(probably a month) and as is i can perform very well in sparring, however i slow down a lot in the 2nd round. Really no way to explain how to be really relaxed in the ring i just naturally am. Maybe its cause i dont take sparring too seriously, i just see it as a fun learning experience where im trying to use all my technical skills and it works out pretty well.

Comment

hittin' the mits is what should help you out. It will train you to naturally react to the punches without thinking.

Comment

Make sure you come back to your guard and face your opponent after every punch and combo while you're on the pads. It will make a huge difference in your sparring.

As to thinking, well, yeah. Boxers get a rep as being a bunch of knuckle-dragging gorillas, but in the ring, we're playing full-contact speed chess.

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
            my boxing skills are good..everybody in my gym says that im one of the best in there when they see me hittin the mitts and pads..but when i spar its like a different story..i no exactly how to beat a guy that beats me..my problem is thinking in the ring..and that is my only problem and that is the most important thing while boxing..latley ive been trynna really visualize in shadow boxing..soo is that the hole trick to thinking?visualizing your opponent? wut else helps thinking in the ring?

Over the years I have come to believe that thinking on your feet, otherwise known as presense of mind, is not such an easy thing to develop. It seems to be a talent that some people have and others don't. The mental imaging that you have described won't do a thing to improve your presense of mind. What it will do is program a set of instinctive reactions. When you notice your opponent moving in a certain pattern you will be able to react to it WITHOUT thinking. Mental imaging actually improves your speed!

As far presense of mind is concerned the only thing I can suggest is learning to become a boxing analyst. When you watch other people fight keenly observe what they are doing and try to see why it is happening. That is not such an easy thing for a boxer to learn. Very few men ever learn to think with one part of the brain then instinctively react with another part, and do it as a flowing process.

Comment

i had some how the same prob, in my case it was i wanted everything to be too perfect i wasnt enough relaxed and i started to relax and just do my thing no matter what.. made me realise it doesn't have to be perfect to work...

Comment

I got a similar issue with my Left Hook, everyone says its nice on the bags and pads...but come spar time...I hardly throw it...when I do it does well...but for some reason I have a hard time throwing it...

Comment

omg this is a big problem with me it always hits me about 30 seconds after i get in the ring this thought of wow what ever i throw this guy can counter

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                    Good, fast padwork will build good reactions. You don't really have a whole lot of time to be like hmm, well he's throwing a hook. I think I'll bob under it then weave right, and depending on if his arm is up or down, perhaps throw a punch... It's all split second thinking. Takes practice man, lots of padwork, and lots of sparring too. Also, just think a lot, it's basically all I think about when I go to bed. I go over situations in my head like a QB goes over plays. Come go time, it's gotta flow naturally, you don't really have a whole lot of time to think. It'll come. How old are you? Also, I don't find shadowboxing very useful in that respect, but I'm sure 95% of boxers do, the key is just think about it man, before the fight. That, along with work to improve your reactions and instincts will help you "think" better in the ring. It'll just take a bit of patience.

Peace,
                    Trick

yeh im always thinking about fights and sparring especially at skool..but im 15..

Comment

Working...
                    X