No announcement yet.

what great fights never happened ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bender2000 View Post
    it looks as though pac vs floyd wont happen but there auctually been quite a few great matchups that could have occured but for various reasons didnt what do you think some are ?
    just a few but theres many many more

frazier vs norton , lyle , shavers
    lamotta vs graziano
    tyson vs foreman
    quarry vs foreman
    m.spinks vs holyfield
    delahoya vs tszyu
    LaMotta Vs Zale Darcy Vs Mike Gibbons SCTrojansbaby Vs Rocky Marciano ( yeah not much of a contest, but I'd love to see it ....... evil grin )

Comment

Les Darcy Vs any fighter in the world 1917 - 1930 ....... even if he got beat up in a few, I bet he would have preferred life over death at any time, in any case any matchup with a big name of any weight would have been absorbing, and very hard to pick many names who could have beaten him in that period, would have been in his prime around 1921.

Comment

Back to Mayweather/Pacquiao, maybe it could happen, but if it ever does, it would be too late (way past their primes) to really matter, like Duran/Leonard III.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          And what about Pryor vs. Duran or Leonard? Was Pryor considered too dangerous and just heavily avoided?
          Originally posted by vinscaddy View Post
          Pryor Duran would of been a great one , anyone know why fight never happened ? Pryor Leonard would of been great .. I know why that fight never happened .. Leonard wanted no part of Pryor .. They used to spar together ... Pryor was beggin Leonard for fight , but srl dodged him bigtime!
          Leonard offered Pryor a fight for $500k, but Pryor wanted more money. Pryor discusses this after his bout with Lennox Blackmoore.

Pryor had an offer from Duran for $700k, but turned it down because he had all sorts of managerial issues that he needed to take care of. One of his managers was a felon who had embezzled a ton of money.
          Last edited by Thread Stealer; 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            Not what I would call compelling match-ups, but it would have been interesting to see how much better - if at all - the losers of the first fight would haved fared in Duran vs Buchanan II and Ali vs Foreman II.
            Jimmy Young beat Foreman after Ali did... and Jimmy was no Ali, even though stylistically he was similar. Kinda meaning that Ali would have good ol' George's number everytime. That's what George's trainer Archer Moore said, too.

Comment

Mayweather-Pacquiao and Lewis-Bowe are probably the two worst cases in my lifetime.

If Floyd and Manny fight, it'll be well past its due date. It was best in 2010.

If you look at the talent pool at MW in the early to mid 90s, there were a whole lot of good matches that never came to fruition. I'm sure Don King had something to do with that.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Th...eweight--1990s

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                Back to Mayweather/Pacquiao, maybe it could happen, but if it ever does, it would be too late (way past their primes) to really matter, like Duran/Leonard III.
                Yeah or Hagler-Leonard, although that still mattered to a lot of people and brought some excitement to them, but still happened too late.

Comment

Hatton vs Cotto
                  Any combo with Prince Charles Willims/Virgil Hill/Michael Moorer
                  Ernesto Marcel vs Eder Jofre
                  Ottke vs Calzaghe
                  Dwight Qawi vs Mustafa Muhammad
                  Nunn vs Eubank
                  Lupe Pintor vs Jeff Chandler
                  Orlando Canizales vs Raul Perez
                  Freddie Norwood vs Naz
                  Vernon Forrest vs Sergio Martinez
                  Terry Norris vs JC Vazquez
                  And Many more]

Comment

Duran vs. Tony Ayala. Though I think Duran would have murdered him.

Comment

Teofilo Stevenson vs Muhammad Ali
                      Felix Savon vs Mike Tyson

Comment

Working...
                      X