No announcement yet.

Jim Lampley was downright biased and terrible during the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
    I don't think Lampley is biased. There's been plenty of times when Lampley has put Merchant in his place.

I think Lampley is the last honest thing standing on HBO commentary. Steward doesn't have the balls to stand up to Merchant. Lampley does. He's got my respect.
    This is true and it even happened in that same PPV where he was hyping up Ortiz.

Larry Merchant was talking about Floyd's controversial win over Castillo in their first fight. And Jim Lampley followed that by saying, "That was 10 years ago blah blah blah" forgot what he said, but you can tell that was just a "Dude enough already, that was 10 years ago"

Comment

Lampley is my favorite commentator in all of sports. But I must admit, he had a bad night with this fight. I think the company sometimes enforce these annoucers to be biased when they have an agenda. I think the agenda was to do all they could to make Ortiz a superstar.But the problem is, Ortiz doesn't know how to be a superstar.

Comment

Lampley always goes nuts over missed punches, is an HBO company man, and has a cringeworthy man-crush on Marco Antonio Barrera.

Still, HBO Boxing won't be the same when he retires.

Comment

I only listen to Steward.

Comment

I like Jim Lampley, one of my fave commentators. That said, he can be annoying at times but i do prefer him over most others.

I wouldnt trade Jim for RJJ but id take him over Merchant. I like Steward and Foreman too.

Comment

the whole HBO team is biased sometimes. sometimes i don't think they're watching the same fight i'm watching.

Comment

this was a tuneup fight designed for Floyd to win
                Lampley was upping Ortiz to make it look like he was being competitive
                everytime he looked like he did something right, Lampley played it up
                you know, so Floyd would get props when he eventually beat him
                why are Floyd fans whining about this? :laugh:
                Floyd's an HBO staple, they wanna make him look good

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                  floyd landed a right and he said good left cross by Ortiz that was 2 feet away from landing..lol
                  At ringside, there are no instant replays, everything is in real time. So from one angle it may look like a punch is landing.

That said, if someone is watching one fighter for how he does and not the action, he'll only see one guy's work.

Comment

Lol, yes I remember that exact moment... Me and my brother were like "WHAT?"

And didn't he only land like 4 punches that round? I wonder if compubox counted that punch just becuz of wut Lampley said

It reminds me of when Martinez and Williams were exchanging, and Williams was clearly out landing him 3-2 but all u heard out of Lampley was "And another right hook, and another left hand, and another right hook, and another 2 left hands, and SERGIO MARTINEZ IS DOING EVERYTHING AND PAUL WILLIAMS IS DOING NOTHING" (paraphrasing of course)

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
                      I 100% agree though. My point was why was he so biased and off in this fight? Lampley has always been fair to Mayweather...ALWAYS. yet in this fight from the get go he was clearly Ortiz...thsi cannot be denied.
                      I cannot be sure, and I have not seen the fight yet. I do not have HBO anymore. It is going to be difficult to watch fights because I cannot afford to get HBO anymore.

A number of guesses come to mind, but as I began to write I thought better of entering that debate because there are simply too many perspectives to consider. I will give mine instead: Floyd is obviously having a tumultuous emotional time in his private life which we had a glimpse of on 24/7 (I caught some of it on youtube) and is succumbing to the pressures and frustrations of his lifestyle and the tensions it brings. It makes him harder to root for in fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X