No announcement yet.

Running Questions for a young amateur

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Questions for a young amateur

Well, currently im an amateur boxer etc etc and i run 5 mornings per week, usually for 3-5 miles. Then saturdays I do sprint workouts. Lately i've been thinking these long runs I do are nearly useless for fitness because they aren't really as intense or as short as an actual 3x2min fight (which my fights are). But they are good for keeping bf% and weight down. So if I were to replace say 3 of those 5 distance runs with more explosive short running like stair sprints and other sprints would those 2 remaining distance runs per week id be doing be enough to keep my bf% down and my weight in check?

Of course i'll probably ask my trainer too and see what he thinks but theres some smart people on this forum too.

Thanks, and please don't respond if you are one of those ******s with the bad sparring vids. I want informed opinions.

bump......

Comment

i swear this is one of the five most asked questions . somebody needs to sticky answers to questions about, Spinting vs running, Weight lifting and speed, Weight loss, and chins.

we wouldnt have any more questions like this. But ask your coach. Sprinting is better for boxing than long distance running, and it wont decay muscles, look at pictures of world class long distance runners vs sprinters and figure out the difference. Personally When im at the gym i do hill sprints daily. but then when im home on my own i still run a few miles at night. Hell, If you still have Bf% to lose keep running. Im personally trying to hit 8% and ive been stuck at 10 for a couple months while and ive been trying to keep my calories in check.

Look into Putting more effort into jump roping as well. Its far more intense than long distance running and its more fun than doing sprints.

Comment

Yeah well my bf% is quite low, no fat on my stomach at all and i have a six pack. I started doing this stair running workout 6x2min rounds of sprinting up a set of stairs (about 20 or so steps) and then jogging briskly back down. Feels a lot like sparring a round heart rate wise and i feel it's so much better for my boxing fitness. But i will still huck in the odd distance run to keep my weight down and stuff, and when i need to drop weight for a fight.

Comment

Bring your long distance running back to 2 day's maybe even one to keep an aerobic base,
          put in 3 day's of sprinting/interval(50,100,200,400,800) for anearobic and it looks fine to me man.

By the way, sprinting is even better for burning fat than running is

Comment

Originally posted by Casparrr View Post
            Bring your long distance running back to 2 day's maybe even one to keep an aerobic base,
            put in 3 day's of sprinting/interval(50,100,200,400,800) for anearobic and it looks fine to me man.

By the way, sprinting is even better for burning fat than running is
            Yeah man, thats what im planning to do now

Comment

Oké great! sorry i didn't read the whole thread only the SP.

Comment

good info.

my trainer asked me to run 2-3 miles daily, atleast. so you all are saying sprinting is better than running for boxers? running, meaning jogging? or really running fast as if being chased by a dog? not quite sure what you all meant by running?

another thing, what is the estimated minutes for a 2-3 miles of running? I don't have a stop watch thing to determine how many miles I'd be running, so I would estimate...15 Minutes? It all depends on how fast you run too I know, but just give an estimate.

I don't want to overtrain. Undertraining is literally impossible in my case. I train not more than 1.5 to 2 hours in the boxing gym, 3 times a week, every other day atleast. I know of people who do train for 4 hours. LOL. Must be exaggerating in their part or take few breaks in between. I get right on it at once, no breaks. I have other things to do.

Comment

The long distance runs are very important. id say stick with what your doing. what might be better is to instead of 3-5 every morning do do like 3-5-8-5- recover-srpints-recover monday-sunday. and just bbecause your doing long distance dosnt mean that you cant throw in some sprints ever other quarter or half mile.

the sprinting will get you through the round the long distance running gets you back to the same point you each round after that minute break.

Comment

I'de say keep your long runs pretty much the same, 1 less day per week, And you say they are not intense, Then speed it up. You should always be pushing yourself. And do INTERVALS

Comment

Working...
                    X