Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training in the old days. With PICS (Jack Johnson, Benny Leonard, Battling Nelson etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
    oh yeah definitely

they were tough bastards but they were poor technically, i meant **** technique wise, no one in their right mind would question how tough they were
    Like any other sport boxing has evolved. The first solarplexus punch is one of boxinghistorys most famous. It was used by Bob Fitzsimmons in his titlewinning effort against heavyweightchamp Jim Corbett.

Edit: Sidenote: Fitz weighed only 167 according to boxrec.
    Last edited by BattlingNelson; 09-03-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

Mountaineering was popular then as it is now. The fighter is unknown. (Could it be Greb?)

This is one of the very best all-time-greats Benny Leonard farming the countryside.

And finally HW legend Jack Dempsey works on the waterpump. Today this exercixe might be called "unilateral ground based upper body core training".

Maybe this thread would be usefull in the training-forum???
      Not to mention all those photo's of Les Darcy at work in the blacksmiths shop and as a farrier........ Great photo's mate,,,.. a great idea for a thread.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        Not to mention all those photo's of Les Darcy at work in the blacksmiths shop and as a farrier........ Great photo's mate,,,.. a great idea for a thread.
        Lol that was an old thread Mc.

The pics was taken from an old danish exercise book.

What's that with Les Darcy?

Comment

Lol that was an old thread Mc.

The pics was taken from an old danish exercise book.

What's that with Les Darcy?
          Oh, there are a series of Darcy photo's with him on the job,..... nothing fake about them though,.... Darcy was a real blacksmith,.... and in those days blacksmiths doubled as farriers... some still do........ The photo's of Darcy at the anvil have a purpose..... It really shows what made him such an incredible physical specimen, and he looks at home in it....... It's threads like these that really get me going. I'll try to get the photo's up here but I have run out of space in my albums.... it seems that if I take photo's out of my album, those photo's that I post seem to dissappear.

Comment

Oh, there are a series of Darcy photo's with him on the job,..... nothing fake about them though,.... Darcy was a real blacksmith,.... and in those days blacksmiths doubled as farriers... some still do........ The photo's of Darcy at the anvil have a purpose..... It really shows what made him such an incredible physical specimen, and he looks at home in it....... It's threads like these that really get me going. I'll try to get the photo's up here but I have run out of space in my albums.... it seems that if I take photo's out of my album, those photo's that I post seem to dissappear.
            I cannot find those anvil shots in your albums Mc?

Comment

Not yet...... I only have two spaces left in my albums.... But as soon as I scan them off the book and when I can work out how to put them into one picture....... Great photo's... there may be a site somewhere with those photo's if I google right....... I will be getting a scanner soon................... I'll keep you posted......... I'll start posting Darcy photo's in my Darcy Book Thread........ Have you been reading that thread, I would think you a prime candidate for doing that...... it wears my fingers out that thread does.

Comment

Not yet...... I only have two spaces left in my albums.... But as soon as I scan them off the book and when I can work out how to put them into one picture....... Great photo's... there may be a site somewhere with those photo's if I google right....... I will be getting a scanner soon................... I'll keep you posted......... I'll start posting Darcy photo's in my Darcy Book Thread........ Have you been reading that thread, I would think you a prime candidate for doing that...... it wears my fingers out that thread does.
                I havent been active in this section lately, so no. I havent read it. I'll check it out.

Comment

I havent been active in this section lately, so no. I havent read it. I'll check it out.
                  I'd be proud if you did, it's about only 1 5th completed but there's at least 20 of his fights described so far about 30 fights left to post plus his trip to America..... please post a reply when you get through it....... and Every filmed fight is on there... here's the link.. http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=497729

Comment

Here's one for you Bat.

Comment

Like any other sport boxing has evolved. The first solarplexus punch is one of boxinghistorys most famous. It was used by Bob Fitzsimmons in his titlewinning effort against heavyweightchamp Jim Corbett.

Edit: Sidenote: Fitz weighed only 167 according to boxrec.
                      That wasn't the first solar plexus punch, though.

In English pugilism the solar plexus was called "the mark" and it was common to place an arm across it to defend it or protect it from being hit. When a fighter did that he was said to "bar the mark."

I'm not singling you out and not saying that you do this but....I've noticed people love to say that boxing has evolved and the old timers didn't have good technique yet they don't even know the proper history or what techniques arose at what time.

Comment

Working...
                      X