Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Floyd Mayweather jr. vs. prime 'Battling' Nelson @ 135. Who takes it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    My take on this fight would be that Mayweather would completely outbox Nelson although he will be surprised with all the dirty tricks Nelson would pull.

Kidney punching was bat's specialty. He did it with an 'extended' (word?) indexfinger to get maximum penetration. He also put some oinkment in his hair to make it stiff and rubbed his hair in the opponents eye. Mayweather would learn all the dirty tricks the hard way.

Mayweather may also put Nelson down a few times although PBF is not the hardest of punchers. It was common to KD Nelson. But he always got up and nothing can convince me that Mayweather would be able to keep Nelson down when Britt, Wolgast and Gans couldn't.

So the real question here is if Mayweather have got the stamina to go 40+ rounds. He would have to if he should have a chance of winning.
    lmao this is awesome. i learn new things every day. good topic bat.

Comment

call me a stick in the mud, but Im not too thrilled about all the illegal things that Nelson did. bending the rules is one thing, but the kind of stuff he did does not make me admire him as a fighter, and he would be DQed right quick with a good ref

that being said, Ive never seen any worthwhile footage of him, so I cant say anything about this matchup.

Comment

I made this thread in NSB but (perhaps as expected) didn't get any replies. I'll have a go in this section.

Mayweather vs. Nelson. Lightweight championship.

Old school rules:

4 ounce horse-hair gloves.
        It's a fight to the finish. (50 rounds.)
        Weigh-in at fight time in the ring.

The slick Mayweather facing off against the toughest fighter the world have ever seen. Nelson fought the great Joe Gans 3 times. Lost the first by DQ in round 42 and won the following 2 fights by knock-out.

Who takes it?

Mayweather:

Nelson:

Hey B,

I honestly cant envision Mayweather jr exchanging with Nelson and standing toe to toe against such a tough guy...

So I would presume he will depend on his tactic of running around, shoulder rolling and potshotting... Then again, he wont be able to do it for a fight to the finish at 50 rounds... I cant envision Mayweather winning with the conditions you stated above...

Maybe a 15 round fight with conventional conditions, Mayweather MIGHT be competetive though... BUT I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH against Nelson...

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
          call me a stick in the mud, but Im not too thrilled about all the illegal things that Nelson did. bending the rules is one thing, but the kind of stuff he did does not make me admire him as a fighter, and he would be DQed right quick with a good ref
          that being said, Ive never seen any worthwhile footage of him, so I cant say anything about this matchup.
          To me those pioneering days was just like the wild west really. I hate foul tactics today, but reading about the old days has some 'romantic' glow.

Regarding Nelson's dirty tricks well he was indeed dirty. One of the dirtiest ever. But the rules was different back then and most fighters from back then would be DQ'ed with a modern ref.

Comment

Originally posted by klipsch speaker View Post
            Hey B,

I honestly cant envision Mayweather jr exchanging with Nelson and standing toe to toe against such a tough guy...

So I would presume he will depend on his tactic of running around, shoulder rolling and potshotting... Then again, he wont be able to do it for a fight to the finish at 50 rounds... I cant envision Mayweather winning with the conditions you stated above...

Maybe a 15 round fight with conventional conditions, Mayweather MIGHT be competetive though... BUT I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH against Nelson...
            Pretty much what I'd say. Mayweather would likely win a decision if the fight was 20 rounds or less. Other than that he'd lose IMO.

If Nelson could take Gans 40+ rounds surely he would deal with Mayweather.

Comment

mayweather would knock him into next week, come on dude, the speed, power, accuracy and skill advantages of floyd would just be way too much, he could get a little put off by all the crap nelson would pull but i think he would knock him out pretty early

Comment

Pretty much what I'd say. Mayweather would likely win a decision if the fight was 20 rounds or less. Other than that he'd lose IMO.

If Nelson could take Gans 40+ rounds surely he would deal with Mayweather.
                ever considered that oh, i dunno mayweather is 1 billion times better than gans?

gans had a good resume and was a smart fighter but good lord mayweather would obliterate both him and nelson on the same night

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
                  ever considered that oh, i dunno mayweather is 1 billion times better than gans?

gans had a good resume and was a smart fighter but good lord mayweather would obliterate both him and nelson on the same night
                  Rating Mayweather above Gans is a reach IMO. Gans is arguably the best ever lightweight. At least a top 3 all-time.

Mayweather might very well outclass Nelson as I said, but I cannot see him winning a fight to finish.

Holyfield might have a shot. If he was roided well

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    Floyd would break his hands with those gloves
                    That was common back then. Nelson often fought with broken hands.
                    In his first fight with Nelson Gans broke his hand in around round 30 BTW. He won the fight some 10 rounds later.

Comment

floyds skills let him compete in any era. That said I don't think he can knock nelson out. The longer it goes the more it favors Nelson. If this was 12 rounds I would pick Floyd. But his hands won't hold up under these circumstances and Nelson won't stop with his relentless pressure. If Nelson could compete with Corbett II, Gans, McGovern, Wolgast and others, he'd be able to hang in there with Mayweather.

Floyd take a lot of the early rounds, but Nelson keeps coming and coming to win the newspaper decision, which was common back then.

Make that fight under todays standards and I'll fly with Mayweather by comfortable decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X