No announcement yet.

Cage Rage heavyweight champion heads to UFC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cage Rage heavyweight champion heads to UFC

Mustapha Al-Turk (6-3) has vacated the Cage Rage British heavyweight title and signed with the UFC, we can exclusively reveal.

He has signed a four-fight deal with the organisation and will make his debut before the end of the year, possibly against Cain Velasquez.

Speaking to Fighters Only earlier, Al-Turk said he felt “absolutely great” about signing the deal with the UFC.

“I feel that I deserve to be there, I’ve got a lot of skill and I’ve earned my place,” he said. “I’ve worked really hard and I continue to work hard. You reap what you sow.

He recently won the Cage Rage British heavyweight title after the organisation stripped previous holder Tengiz Tedoradze.

But his contract with that organisation has expired and he jumped at a chance to fight in the world’s premier mixed martial arts organisation.

“It’s a step up [from Cage Rage] with regard to the size of the shows and the level of opponent I will be facing, but that is how you get better,” he said.

“You should always be looking to evolve your game an you need better and better opponents to do that,” he added.

He could not comment on speculation that he will be facing Cain Valasquez at UFC 92 on December 27th.

However, he did say that a fight with Velasquez would be “very tough” as “he is a prospect - I don’t think it would be an easy fight for either of us”.

“We’ve got similar styles, his wrestling is great, he came seventh in the NCAA I believe? He is a formidable wrestler, he has excellent control, good boxing, so we’re similar in our styles. He’s a tough guy - but I know I could take him.”

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

I really like this guys style, aggressive, exciting and has a great finisher's instinct when he has his man at his mercy. Very nice addition to the UFCs HW Division. Thoughts?

Dude, That's my homie Brody getting tagged there in the gif. He trains at my gym.

Comment

I would really like him to be successful, but I just have a gut feeling that he's going to get TKO'd and fight the extension of his contract on under cards.

Comment

MMA is for the bums who were not good enough for the bigtime of boxing. I seen this bum layed out on the canvas by a cruiserweight journeyman in a gym. 9/10 a well schooled boxer will KO an MMA pie eating bum.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis Vastine View Post
          MMA is for the bums who were not good enough for the bigtime of boxing. I seen this bum layed out on the canvas by a cruiserweight journeyman in a gym. 9/10 a well schooled boxer will KO an MMA pie eating bum.
          I see you're angry because your favorite sport isn't exciting anymore.

6-0 Boxer beaten with ease by mediocre BJJ grappler.

Comment

Ive seen a few of his fights. He has ok stand up but maybe not at UFC level, he is a top ground guy though. Very strong wrestler.

I think he fights Kongo next, if he stands with Kongo he is in for a short night. If he gets it to the ground he has a good shot at causing the upset.

Comment

Cain will take the fight out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Burnell View Post
                Cain will take the fight out of him.
                I thought it was Kongo who he fights next.

Comment

Working...
                X