Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Rios: We Preferred Marquez, Not Alvarado II

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What boxing fan would not be happy with this fight?
    i look foward to it,he deserves a second shot

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      Rios is a long term investment..... Arum only brought on Bradley to fight Pac.
      Bradley can't have Rios lose so soon and especially to Bradley because that hurts his inestment
      Agreed, besides Rios is much more marketable than Timmy, with a lot more crowd pleasing style, and more interesting out of ring antics. I love Rios. I wish he wasn't rematching Alvarado right now.

Comment

Marquez is too much of a bitch to take a risk outside of Pacquiao, watch him take on another euro goat farmer in preparation for a 5th fight against someone he just KTFO

Comment

Can't see this one going any differently.

Alvarado is an exciting fighter, but he is incredibly flawed. He has no defense.

Despite what most people think they saw in the 1st fight, if you watch it closely you'll see that Rios shows very good defensive skill for the majority of the fight. (Although he does switch off a few times and get nailed with some nasty combinations.) Generally he was getting his gloves in the way of shots, moving his head constantly, slipping left, right on the inside, rolling the hooks, and slipping back on the outside. In contrast, Alvarado just sits stationary with his philly shell and gets nailed by anything he doesn't see coming a mile away. The end result is that Alvarado works twice as hard to land less and was spent by the 6th.

I don't think Alvarado will be able to learn the kind of defensive skill needed to keep Rios away, and he likely will plan to pace himself better but find himself in the kind of fire fight that epitomised the first encounter and be forced, again, to work twice as hard as he is capable of doing just to keep Rios off him.

People slam Rios as a brawler, but against a fighter he can reach he shows good boxing skill. Put him in with a tall fighter though, and he's screwed (Abril) because his style is so reliant on short punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Camp Beast View Post
            Rios doesn't deserve a crack at Marquez OR Pacquiao.
            and sechenko/jessie vargas does?

Comment

I could understand Team Rios wanting Marquez...... But its no reason for Marquez to look Rios way

Comment

My suspicion is that Rios/JMM would look identical to Baby Bull/JMM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                  My suspicion is that Rios/JMM would look identical to Baby Bull/JMM.
                  I don't think jmm is as effective against any other top fighter with the exception of pac

jmm knew pac's flaws and has always been able to capitalize on them

jmm would be chasing bradley or any other titleholder to cement himself in the history books if he believed he could...instead they're looking at another tune up in vargas or sechenko

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
                    I don't think jmm is as effective against any other top fighter with the exception of pac

jmm knew pac's flaws and has always been able to capitalize on them

jmm would be chasing bradley or any other titleholder to cement himself in the history books if he believed he could...instead they're looking at another tune up in vargas or sechenko
                    I agree with you about Bradley. Rios is a come forward fighter though, and JMM has shown he doesn't fare to well when he has to press the action. If the fighter brings the fight to him like Diaz did, fearless and confident in his punching ability, JMM can eventually find a window like he did when he KO'd Baby Bull with that uppercut, or tagged Pacquiao with that right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                      I agree with you about Bradley. Rios is a come forward fighter though, and JMM has shown he doesn't fare to well when he has to press the action. If the fighter brings the fight to him like Diaz did, fearless and confident in his punching ability, JMM can eventually find a window like he did when he KO'd Baby Bull with that uppercut, or tagged Pacquiao with that right hand.
                      true but rios isn't featherfisted like baby bull...he has a much better chin as well

jmm does indeed to better against fighters who try to bring the fight to him but he's also looked vulnerable, like when katsidis dropped him

if jmm can withstand rios' constant pressure he should win but at age 39 I'm not so sure he can and I've rarely seen rios get dropped

Comment

Working...
                      X