No announcement yet.

The 1917 Halifax Explosion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1917 Halifax Explosion

It is still regarded as the biggest non nuclear explosion ever. It Killed around 2000 people in the town and blinded many more. 9000 were injured. A ship, on fire in our harbor, chock full of explosives, went up with the force of over 3 kilotons. Every building withing a 16 mile radius, was either destroyed or badly damaged. Buildings over 60 miles away shook from it.

The city of Boston were tireless in their effort on assisting and help with rebuilding my city. To this day, every year we send a large christmas tree to them to display outside their city hall as a thank you gesture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

crazy **** brother this happened near wher i lived as a kid.

i remember being thrown out of my desk they call it the day it rained marshmallows because of the marsfmallow factory that blew up next door also.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
      It is still regarded as the biggest non nuclear explosion ever. It Killed around 2000 people in the town and blinded many more. 9000 were injured. A ship, on fire in our harbor, chock full of explosives, went up with the force of over 3 kilotons. Every building withing a 16 mile radius, was either destroyed or badly damaged. Buildings over 60 miles away shook from it.

The city of Boston were tireless in their effort on assisting and help with rebuilding my city. To this day, every year we send a large christmas tree to them to display outside their city hall as a thank you gesture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Tunguska is. It's estimated to have been between 5-30 megatons. The explosion knocked down roughly 80 Million trees over an area covering 2,150 square kilometres and was 1000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
        Tunguska is. It's estimated to have been between 5-30 megatons. The explosion knocked down roughly 80 Million trees over an area covering 2,150 square kilometres and was 1000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.
        Well let me rephrase that. Man Made explosion!hehe

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
            i first encountered this as a title for an x- files episode...

it is quite an interesting event coz up until now, researchers could only speculate the real cause of the explosion... and really, what are the chances that the event took place in a pretty much desolated area with no living soul around?

Comment

I saw a doc on Discovery once. I never heard of the incident before and was quite awed. Cool that Halifax still sends a Christmas three to Boston. Fine gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
                Yup...that's Vince Coleman, the hero of that tragedy.

Comment

Working...
                X