Better resume: Mayweather or Hopkins???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
    I remember Hopkins ducking Jones.

BULLSHlT The rematch was on the table more than once during they're prime year's and each time it fell apart cuz Roy wanted all the money.

Last edited by UTEP; 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Here is the record of some of the better fighters Hopkins defended his middleweight tittle against at the time Hopkins fought them. Joe Lipsey 25-0 Glen Johnson 32-0 Syd Vanderpool 28-1 Keith Holmes 36-2 Felix Trinidad 40-0 Howard Eastman 40-1 Oscar De La Hoya 37-3 Carl Daniels 47-3-1 Morrade Hakker 31-3 William Joppy 37-2-1. Decide for yourself but I think that's some good records and some good fighters. How many undefeated fighters did Floyd fight?

Comment

Maybe a better question is, who has beaten more champions? If it's Hopkins (I honestly don't know), then all credit to him. Both are modern day greats that have given the sport plenty. Still, creating threads like this to rag on one or either is just lame and makes me wonder why some peple watch this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          Yeah, but against who exactly? People put to much stock into B-Hop's 20 MW defenses. I'm not saying it wasn't a good accomplishment but really analyze the fighters he fought in his reign.
          Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
          Maybe a better question is, who has beaten more champions? If it's Hopkins (I honestly don't know), then all credit to him. Both are modern day greats that have given the sport plenty. Still, creating threads like this to rag on one or either is just lame and makes me wonder why some peple watch this sport.
          If you mean beat guys that were champions at the time they beat them then Mayweather beat 11 champions and Hopkins beat 6 champions. Hopkins fought 6 undefeated fighters and Floyd fought 2 undefeated fighters. Maybe others have done some trashing but not me.I think both guys have great resumes. We were asked to pick one and I picked Hopkins but I have no problem with the guys that picked Floyd. This has been done before and it always comes out about even.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            Here is the record of some of the better fighters Hopkins defended his middleweight tittle against at the time Hopkins fought them. Joe Lipsey 25-0 Glen Johnson 32-0 Syd Vanderpool 28-1 Keith Holmes 36-2 Felix Trinidad 40-0 Howard Eastman 40-1 Oscar De La Hoya 37-3 Carl Daniels 47-3-1 Morrade Hakker 31-3 William Joppy 37-2-1. Decide for yourself but I think that's some good records and some good fighters. How many undefeated fighters did Floyd fight?
            i understand what you're getting at but i wouldn't have included hakkar on that list. that was actually one of the most pitiful and cowardly performances i've seen in a championship fight. it's kind of insulting to hopkins to include him, and insulting to the fighters you listed him amongst haha

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              Hopkins had 20 defenses all against guys rated in the top 10 and he avoided no one, so yes that that impresses me. I would have been equally impressed if Mayweather did that. I give Floyd credit for his work at 130 but most of his defenses were against unknown guys also. One reason some the guys Hopkins defended his tittle against are not well known today is because Hopkins beat the hell out of them and ruined some of them. They were good fighters at the time he fought them. Analyze the guys Floyd defended his tittle against at 130. Carlos Rios, Justin Juko, Carlos Gerena, Goyo Vargas etc. They are not famous either. If you like Floyd's opposition more than Hopkins that's your choice. I think what Hopkins did was better. Another reason I picked Hopkins over Floyd is Hopkins won all his tittle defenses by a large margin.Until he was 40 years old he beat all the best middleweights available with ease.Floyd never cleaned out any weight class like that.
              Absolutely false.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Absolutely false.
                elaborate please...

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
                  elaborate please...
                  All of Bernard Hopkin's 20 Title defenses were not against Top 10 opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    All of Bernard Hopkin's 20 Title defenses were not against Top 10 opposition.
                    oh i didnt see you bolded part of that guys post, thought you were saying false to the whole post. now i see.

but yes, not all were in the top 10, but I think 99% were. Morrade Hakkar is the only that comes to mind that wasnt. Who else wasnt?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
                      oh i didnt see you bolded part of that guys post, thought you were saying false to the whole post. now i see.

but yes, not all were in the top 10, but I think 99% were. Morrade Hakkar is the only that comes to mind that wasnt. Who else wasnt?
                      Going off memory, Simon Brown, Andrew Council, Glen Johnson.

I'm sure there's more.

Plenty and most were in the top 10 but certainly less than 99% were.

Comment

Working...
                      X