No announcement yet.

Artist of the Decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Artist of the Decade

Who is it and why? It's almost a wrap for this decade.

To me there is the big 3 that have had success selling records and making good to great music with a solid fan base. Not to mention the guest features over the years. Popularity isn't everything though and I'd put Ghostface because of the number of works he released added to the fact that's it was quality.

Here's mine.....

Nas
    Jay-Z
    Eminem
    Other
    Eminem
    45.00%
    Jay-Z
    10.00%
    Nas
    15.00%
    Other.............
    30.00%

Kanye West has to be mentioned in that list. He has 3 fantastic rap albums and 808s (which I liked), that was a total change of pace. Plus rumour has it he is dropping again before '10 .. hip hop style.

Comment

Not to mention the production he has done since 2000. I mean its pretty much unmatched in the last 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sisforshaq View Post
        Not to mention the production he has done since 2000. I mean its pretty much unmatched in the last 9 years.
        Thats true.. when in doubt I usually lean towards Nas cause albums like Stillmatic,God' son, Untitled Etc pops up in my mind. But I think u really have to give Kanye his due, I think u could make a case for Common aswell considering Be, Finding Forever, Like water for chocolate.

Comment

You could make an argument for Common Be and Like Water for Chocolate were great. Even though I wasn't as big on Be as everyone else.

Kanye could be mentioned as well. Three really good albums one crappy one. Produced a lot of really good songs.

You can also throw TI and Lil Wayne into the conversation.

Comment

The Roots need a mention.

Phrenology - 9.5/10. Near classic.

Tipping Point - 8.5/10 - Some don't rate it highly, but other's love it. I think it's their weakest effort of the decade, but still highly regarded.

Game Theory - 9.5/10 - Classic? Possibly. I'm not sure it will have the same factor in years to come, but we'll see.

Rising Down - 9/10 - A game theory part 2 for me, albeit slightly darker tones. A couple filler tracks were stuck in there which brings my rating lower.

?uestlove has stated that The Roots will be releasing a new album entitled 'How I Got Over' this summer. Guest artists rumoured include Jay Z, Pharaohe Monch, Blu, Beanie Sigel, Saigon plus more. Should be fire!!

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
              The Roots need a mention.

Phrenology - 9.5/10. Near classic.

Tipping Point - 8.5/10 - Some don't rate it highly, but other's love it. I think it's their weakest effort of the decade, but still highly regarded.

Game Theory - 9.5/10 - Classic? Possibly. I'm not sure it will have the same factor in years to come, but we'll see.

Rising Down - 9/10 - A game theory part 2 for me, albeit slightly darker tones. A couple filler tracks were stuck in there which brings my rating lower.

?uestlove has stated that The Roots will be releasing a new album entitled 'How I Got Over' this summer. Guest artists rumoured include Jay Z, Pharaohe Monch, Blu, Beanie Sigel, Saigon plus more. Should be fire!!
              got pushed back till oct

Comment

It's Eminem, years down the road when they're doing 'wrap-ups' he will dominate the decade of the 2000s as far as visibility, album sales, awards, hit singles, side projects, etc.

Comment

Nas
                  Andre 3000
                  Kanye West
                  Jay Z
                  The Roots

i feel like Busta should be in there too.

sorry
                  Eminem gets no love from me in this category, considering the fact that his material has gotten steadily wacker by the second. but so has Jay Z's, in my opinion, but he's dropped enough boom **** in the decade to be included.

Comment

^i dont think jay-z has ever been wack. is he as good as he once was? no. but wack? never. but i respect your opinion, everybody has a right to their opinion

as far as the poll...i'm not sure. any choice would be fine by me....
                    Last edited by Truth; 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X