No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Emanuel Steward 1944-2012: A Legend Passes Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Emanuel Steward 1944-2012: A Legend Passes Away

By Thomas Gerbasi - In a sport where great teachers are becoming rarer and rarer by the day, boxing sadly lost one of the last legends of the craft Thursday, as Emanuel Steward, trainer to the likes of Thomas Hearns, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Oscar De La Hoya, Julio Cesar Chavez, Miguel Cotto, and Wladimir Klitschko, passed away after a long illness at the age of 68.

Steward's sister, Diane, confirmed her brother's passing at 3:29 EST on Thursday.

"He went home about half an hour ago. He fought harder than Hagler and Hearns. I'll tell you more later. It's too tough right now," she told Detroit reporter Tom Leyden of ABC Action News.

Ill for the last several months, Steward’s voice and insight was sorely missed on the HBO broadcasts where he had become a staple, and even his prized pupil, heavyweight champion Klitschko, was forced to go through training camp for his November 10 bout against Mariusz Wach without him. It’s just a taste of the impact that the West Virginia native had on the sport he was involved in from the time he was a child, but one that he didn’t truly fall in love with until he began spending his teenage years in the city he became synonymous with: Detroit, Michigan. [Click Here To Read More]

May he Rest in Peace.

Comment

RIP

Wow...what a horrible day for the sport. Just isn't gonna be the same without him ringside.

Comment

Rest Easy Emmanuel...... You'll be missed.

Comment

Rest in Peace

Comment

I had only become aware of his illness in the last couple of months so although it was a long illness his passing seems fairly sudden to me. He came across as a very nice man, as said above he will be missed.
            Last edited by Weebler I; 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Rest In Peace Emmanuel...

Comment

can't believe this is true, posted earlier but was deleted idk why........
                Emmanuel Steward, may you rest in peace, let your days in the heavens bring you peace and tranquility from this crazy world. I will forever remember the day i met you, although for a brief moment, still a very humble gesture. Your commentary on the Ortiz-Berto fight was a gem as it illustrated your devout passion for the sport. Rest Easy, your legend has been cemented.

Comment

R.I.P.

Steward was undoubtedly a legend.

Comment

What a ****ing shame. Rest In Peace

Comment

Working...
                    X