No announcement yet.

Frank Tate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Tate

Does anybody have any info on this fighter? He was the man Michael Nunn beat for the IBF MW title. He had won it by beating Michael Olajide, Tate. Later he moved up to LHW and fought against Virgil Hill twice for the title, losing both times. A big man in both divisions at 6'2. His record is 41(25)-5(2).

frank tate was a good fighter he won olympic gold when he defeated tough canadian shawn osullivan in a fight filled with plenty of action,tate would become world champ and have a good career

Comment

I believe he is the older brother of Thomas Tate the former super middleweight contender.

Comment

I followed both of them during the early 90's.
        Older brother of Thomas Tate who was a good middleweight contender during the 90's. His biggest fights were losses to Roy Jones and Julian Jackson.

Here is a good interview of Frank.
        http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Ken/Hissner090509.htm

Last edited by Stab Judah; 09-11-2009, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Didn't like the way Thomas Tate carried himself in the ring before the Jones fight. He looked like a total pompous ass.

I have always wondered wether the two were related. You forgot that Tate fought Michael Nunn for the IBF MW title and lost by 9th round TKO.

Comment

He was in Emmerdale, died of an heart attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
              Didn't like the way Thomas Tate carried himself in the ring before the Jones fight. He looked like a total pompous ass.

I have always wondered wether the two were related. You forgot that Tate fought Michael Nunn for the IBF MW title and lost by 9th round TKO.
              Me neither times like that are when I wish the fighters trainer would come over and slap them upside the head and say
              "You know you don't have a damn chance hear right?"

Here's some more of Thomas, can't find any more of Frank.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RelliK View Post
                  Me neither times like that are when I wish the fighters trainer would come over and slap them upside the head and say
                  "You know you don't have a damn chance hear right?"

Here's some more of Thomas, can't find any more of Frank.

Lol. He sure didn't! Jones made short work of him. But he fought well against Jackson, he was the first one to take him thru 12 rounds, innit so? He also beat Merqui Sosa, hard puncher and much bigger man.

Shame there aren't any real fights with Frank. Wonder why. He did fight guys like Nunn and Virgil Hill, twice. Unbelievable how guys like him and Nunn could fight at 160. I think they were two biggest men ever to fight eachother for a MW title! Frank 6'2 and Michael 6'3.
                  Last edited by Benncollinsaad; 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Frank lives in Houston and is training fighters. He's co-trainer of Lanardo Tyner.

Comment

Working...
                    X