No announcement yet.

Wrist pain/heavy bag weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrist pain/heavy bag weight

Hey, I am new to the forum and just recently started boxing. I have been going in and training in the gym in a boxing class Mondays and Wednesdays. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I workout at home with a heavy bag. The bag is a 100 bag Everlast. The bag has some hard spots in it like you are hitting a telephone pole so I am going to get a new bag. This brings me to my first question...

What weight bag should I get? I was looking at the Camo 75lb bag that everlast has or a 60 pounder by Ringside? I am 6' tall and weigh about 200 lbs. if that helps at all...

Second question: After hitting my bag at home these last three weeks, my wrists have really started to hurt. Especially my left one when I throw a left hook. Is it normal for my wrists to hurt since I just started? I am not sure about this because after my workout tonight I tried to do some pushups and my wrists hurt so bad I couldnt do any

What do you think?

O yea, I have everlast progel handwraps. I dont like b/c they feel like they dont give me much wrist support, I am trading those out for mexican wraps.

Also, will a lighter, softer bag help with the wrist pain?

Your wrists should not hurt. More than likely you are not keeping your fist aligned with your forearm. My guess would be that you were throwing hooks and bent your wrist as you threw it. Just go light, do not try to kill the bag. Relax your shoulders, relax your legs, breathe... many new boxers try to KILL the bag and you aren't helping anything. Work on speed, with speed comes power. Practice throwing punches from your legs and shoulders.

Try to let the weight of your fist do the damage. Speed + mass = damage. The faster you get your fist going the more damage. Power comes later, for now work on speed and snapping your punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
      many new boxers try to KILL the bag and you aren't helping anything
      I'll second that. Although I'm not a boxer I have a heavy bag in the house which I use daily for excercise. I remember when I first used it all I seemed to do was hit it with the power punches. Since then I have learned to hit it more lightly (and quickly) and move around the bag a lot more.

At the end of my session I put the power shots in but you have to make sure you're hitting the bag right. Personally I make sure the bag ain't spinnin' when I make a power shot as I learned that gave me the most pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonerfan8149 View Post
        Hey, I am new to the forum and just recently started boxing. I have been going in and training in the gym in a boxing class Mondays and Wednesdays. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I workout at home with a heavy bag. The bag is a 100 bag Everlast. The bag has some hard spots in it like you are hitting a telephone pole so I am going to get a new bag. This brings me to my first question...

What weight bag should I get? I was looking at the Camo 75lb bag that everlast has or a 60 pounder by Ringside? I am 6' tall and weigh about 200 lbs. if that helps at all...

Second question: After hitting my bag at home these last three weeks, my wrists have really started to hurt. Especially my left one when I throw a left hook. Is it normal for my wrists to hurt since I just started? I am not sure about this because after my workout tonight I tried to do some pushups and my wrists hurt so bad I couldnt do any

What do you think?

O yea, I have everlast progel handwraps. I dont like b/c they feel like they dont give me much wrist support, I am trading those out for mexican wraps.

Also, will a lighter, softer bag help with the wrist pain?
        I'll tell you how to avoid wrist pain.
        Don't try to bury your hand inside the bag, as soon as it hits the bag, bring it right back, as if it's an elastic band, bring it right back.focus on speed, and on just touching the bag...
        also keep your hand , and wrist straight, make sure your hand is NOT BENDING at the wrist.

Comment

I was trying to kill the bag that must be it. The problem is that my wrists are really in a lot of pain below the thumb joint. Would using mexican wraps help also?

Comment

Most likely youre hitting the bag wrong. When you go to the gym next time ask your trainer if your hitting the bag correct. If your not he should rectify any mistakes

Comment

I was trying to kill the bag that must be it. The problem is that my wrists are really in a lot of pain below the thumb joint. Would using mexican wraps help also?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbUEM8kENXQ is pretty decent. Think speed not power, no offense but you don't have any (of either) if you are just starting out boxing. When you punch you want to bring your hand back just as fast as you threw it to snap your punches and protect yourself.

Comment

Should I go stop hitting the bag for a few days and let my wrists stop hurting or keep training and working on speed?

Comment

Dude just look about for a new less-harsher-on-ya-wrist bag and in the meantime do speed bag work and pad work.

no point in using it cos in the long run you could mess up wrist up altogether. have you tried tellin your trainer about it?

Comment

Should I go stop hitting the bag for a few days and let my wrists stop hurting or keep training and working on speed?
                    Take some time off, go for a nice run/hike, enjoy spring. Get plenty of sleep and it should heal up within a week or so. If you go back to the bag after a week and it still hurts then stop and see a doctor.

Comment

Working...
                    X