No announcement yet.

Intelligent Design

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligent Design

So there is a whole debate about this theory being taught in schools alongside evolution.
    Some say its just another way of forcing religous beliefs into schools. Others think it is a plausable theory and therefore is scientific, not religious.

It isnt the same as creationism. Or is it?

It is possible to believe in Intelligent Design without believeing in God?

For me, i think its very interesting. And is the closest i come to believing in a creator.
    Anyone know more about this idea?

Originally posted by Bobby Pazuzu View Post
    So there is a whole debate about this theory being taught in schools alongside evolution.
    Some say its just another way of forcing religous beliefs into schools. Others think it is a plausable theory and therefore is scientific, not religious.

For me, i think its very interesting. And is the closest i come to believing in a creator.
    i think yes some part but not the whole ape turning to human thing.

for example if you see some animals like pigeon long time ago they where abit huge meat-eating dinosaurs as well as some people develop and evolve to the surrounding like a red head in irland and light skined people in the british isls and darker skin in africa something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Pazuzu View Post

Yes it is possible to believe in ID without believing in God. Aliens came and genetically engineered cromagnon man into the human we see today. If you replace angels, devils, and God in the bible with aliens, it seems more plausible explanation to me.

Comment

ASk a man 4000 years ago what he would think of a being who could create life.. and 4000 year ago man would call that being GOD..
        We are not an accident.. we are far to intricate and technical.. We were made.. GOD CREATOR it all means the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
          ASk a man 4000 years ago what he would think of a being who could create life.. and 4000 year ago man would call that being GOD..
          We are not an accident.. we are far to intricate and technical.. We were made.. GOD CREATOR it all means the same thing...
          i agree with you

Comment

Intelligent Design is merely Creationism in disguise. It promotes the Bible's view of creation. It is not based on the scientific method - one of the basic rules in science.

If you're gonna say we were created by a Creator, then you have ask the question...who created the Creator? How did it come into existence? It's a never ending cycle.

Comment

I honestly don't know that much about it, which is odd because I essentially believe in it's premise.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Male View Post
                Intelligent Design is merely Creationism in disguise. It promotes the Bible's view of creation. It is not based on the scientific method - one of the basic rules in science.

If you're gonna say we were created by a Creator, then you have ask the question...who created the Creator? How did it come into existence? It's a never ending cycle.
                Well said, Alpha. "Intelligent Design" is the name both of a theory and a widespread effort to disguise creationism as a scientific theory, in order to salvage religious values in education.

Alpha is correct to say that the theory is not arrived at on the basis of conventional scientific method.

Philosophically speaking, "intelligent design" appeals to a very much hopeless set of inferences, more traditionally referred to as 'teleological'. Intelligent design is a kind of revival of the 'teleological argument for the existence of God', which in rigorous academic philosophy has seen no proponents in nearly two centuries, and even then it could not have been considered respectable.

Intelligent Design is itself by no means a plausible (scientifically speaking) alternative to the theory of Natural Selection. The whole of modern biology (INCLUDING MEDICAL SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is dependant upon the notion that order does in fact arise from disorder (this apart from the philosophical observation that from the appearance of design one CANNOT infer an actual designer).

In sum, although there are no certainties in science, evolution/natural selection is about as close as they come. There are not, contrary to the very misleading popular rallying cry, remarkable weaknesses or 'holes' in the theory. Denying natural selection is roughly akin to calling the world flat.

"intelligent Design" in the schools might amount to a political victory for partly educated and deviously minded preachers and church leaders, but it would amount to a shameful loss for children, educators, science, and probably humanity.

It just ain't so.

Comment

Originally posted by Harms View Post
                  Yes it is possible to believe in ID without believing in God. Aliens came and genetically engineered cromagnon man into the human we see today. If you replace angels, devils, and God in the bible with aliens, it seems more plausible explanation to me.
                  add $10,000 sent to a reclusive 'guru' and you have scientology!

intelligent design is a theory. in schools only proven facts should be taught as theories are constantly being disproved. when do you think scientology will be part of the syllabus?

Comment

Well technically even gravity is only a theory. The fact is, if I drop a ball it will probably fall to the ground. I'm 99.999999999999999repeating% sure this will happen each time. We theorize this is because of what we've come to call gravity. Yes, gravity is still a theory.

Some "facts" are stronger than others but nothing can be proven to be true for complete certainty in science. As it is we're constantly revising what is "accepted" by contemporary scientists.

Personally I don't want anything about a God or a creator taught in schools in my country. Leave that for church of whatever religion the child belongs to, if any, but let's keep the line of secularism clear cut and bold for the sake of objectivity and keeping dogmata in the USA to a minimum.

Religion taught in any form other than as literature has no place in the public school curriculum IMO. The belief that there is an intelligent creator is a spiritual assertion and does not yet have a place in cold hard science. It's a theory based on speculation and not rigorous experimentation and field study (unlike gravity and to a lesser degree, evolution).

Evolution is the best answer we have right now. Do I believe in an intelligent creator? I don't rule it out, that would be extremely arrgogant. Still, I'm not comfortable with having future generations learning it as a fact.

It's bad enough that we depict native americans as pesky obstacles and "villains" to the heroic settlers.
                    Last edited by Kid Achilles; 01-27-2007, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X