Angelo 'Cuban Cobra' Santana..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santana - Prescott I'd like to see

Comment

He's still at the prospect stage in his career. I love what I saw last night. He's defensively sound, has power in both hands, has good timing, gives you a lot of movement and he can put together combinations. Very fundamentally sound fighter.

But let's not crown him just yet. He's a prospect and should be moved along gradually.

Comment

How old is he again? I know he has only had something like 13 or 14 fights, but if he is young enough he could grow into a really good fighter. I think he needs to be a bit more active, and he also needs to get some experience fighting into the later rounds. He has massive power in both hands and seemed to have good timing though. Im exciting to watch him again.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
          How old is he again? I know he has only had something like 13 or 14 fights, but if he is young enough he could grow into a really good fighter. He has massive power in both hands and seemed to have good timing. Im exciting to watch him again.
          He's like 24.

Comment

Showtime said he's 25. No way in hell is that dude 25. He's gotta be 30+. He came over on a makeshift raft and got refugee status. I'm thinking he lied about his age knowing full well he was going to turn pro ASAP. Cuban baseball players do it all the time to sign more lucrative contacts. La Cobra is too polished to be 25. He's for real.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
              He had some issues making weight vs his latest opponent at 135.

No reason to stay at 135 imo.

Will he make some noise at 140+ ?

Your thoughts...
              he seems good, and his style is more exciting than most cubans, ill be following this kid, that ko was sick!

Comment

His punches are fast and crisp and he's got a lot of power but his workrate is very low. He can make some noise at 135 as long as he stays away from Abril.

Comment

His combinations are a bit awkward but heavy, reminds me of the late Valero(RIP) and young Paquiao. Looking to see more of Santana fights in the future.
                  Last edited by bestboxingonly; 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                    He's still at the prospect stage in his career. I love what I saw last night. He's defensively sound, has power in both hands, has good timing, gives you a lot of movement and he can put together combinations. Very fundamentally sound fighter.

But let's not crown him just yet. He's a prospect and should be moved along gradually.
                    It's a lot easier to see when someone isn't going to make it than to accurately predict when someone will. I agree, Angelo is a long way off being crowned. But what we're all seeing is enough to get excited about. Santana has the tools. If he doesn't become a star, it won't be because he didn't have the potential.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
                      Showtime said he's 25. No way in hell is that dude 25. He's gotta be 30+. He came over on a makeshift raft and got refugee status. I'm thinking he lied about his age knowing full well he was going to turn pro ASAP. Cuban baseball players do it all the time to sign more lucrative contacts. La Cobra is too polished to be 25. He's for real.
                      Santana is 24; he turns 25 in April. Baseball players from Latin countries (not just Cubans) lie about their age all the time, but it makes more sense for them to do so in that sport. They can sign lucrative long-term contracts that rely, in part, on their projected longevity. Boxers, on the other hand, don't benefit the same way from downplaying their ages. The contract structures and expectations are different.

Angelo was twice Cuban national champion. That alone speaks favorably for his experience and skills. If Santana looks polished, it's due to that and his natural talent. You can't teach a lot of what "La Cobra" had on display last night.

Comment

Working...
                      X