Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input on first amateur boxing fight, thx!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input on first amateur boxing fight, thx!

Hey,

had my first amateur boxing match last saturday in the 17-34 age division at 144. I'm the guy in blue headgear, just looking for any general tips or extra perspectives from guys on here to make sure my self-diagnosis is on point, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkaZX0CBdhQ

biggest things I got were keep chin down, improve cardio so i don't gas

Honestly, I don't think you were ready to fight. You have no defense and your opponent saw this and all he did was wait to counter punch you. First rule of defense- keep your hands up!

Comment

i agree with the post above. i guess youve only been training for a few months cause the way you moved still looked very inexperienced. i would only suggest for you to train more and youll be better eventually. nowhere to go but up

Comment

Well done for getting in the ring and fighting pal.

I would suggest keeping your hands up more, try and relax a bit, you look quite tense.

You need to be a bit more snappy with that right jab of yours.... You're leaving it out the after throwing it.

Good first effort.

You're young. Keep putting the work in and you will be stronger for your next bout.

Comment

You fought tough and I don't think that you weren't ready for an armature fight thats what novice fights are for. But keep that chin down man your hanging it out there to get caught. Hole a tennis ball between your chest and chin when you shadow box or something but really work on that. Keep fighting you acted like a fighter in there now get the experience and the training.

Comment

thx for all the input guys, if anyone has any more to add it's welcome

fwiw i won the bout, even tho i took a lot of shots one of the judges who i talked to a few days after said I was dominating since the first round

what's the diff between a novice fight and an amateur fight? this was the first fight for both of us, the whole tournament was only for first-time fighters

Comment

Originally posted by masp797 View Post
              thx for all the input guys, if anyone has any more to add it's welcome

fwiw i won the bout, even tho i took a lot of shots one of the judges who i talked to a few days after said I was dominating since the first round

what's the diff between a novice fight and an amateur fight? this was the first fight for both of us, the whole tournament was only for first-time fighters
              A novice fight is an amateur fight but with 2 minute rounds for people without alot of fights. Thats how it is in the US I dont know where your from anyway.

Comment

Congrats on your first bout. I didn't see if you won or lost because of the play back, it kept pausing.

My advice is to relax. It's obvious that your brand spankin' new so you will have to take what I and the forum say, a little constructive critism never hurt anybody.

In repitition you will build your skill and experience. And by not running at an opponent you will experience less knock downs.

The thought never left my mind once it had ocurred to me, you should be fighting from an orthadox stance, I think that you'll find it much more comfortable and find yourself balanced more.

Once again I say congrats, no matter win or lose you stepped up and threw...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by JM.. View Post

i agree with the post above. i guess youve only been training for a few months cause the way you moved still looked very inexperienced. i would only suggest for you to train more and youll be better eventually. nowhere to go but up
                  both of u are evenly matched....

Comment

Both of you were very stiff and neither of you moved your head for ****.

Work on throwing snappy punches too, not just stickiing out your arm and hoping he runs into it.

Keep your hands up and your chin down, too.

Well done getting in the ring, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X