Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tommy Morrison is underrated any one agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly don't think he was underrated. He was just an ok, but exciting, fighter. That's all that really matters sometimes.

After all, when you just want to see a good scrap, what's better than a guy with a huge punch, shaky defense and chin but enough heart to get up after being put down and come back himself?

Comment

I don't think Morrison is either underrated or overrated. He was an excellent offensive fighter, but his limitations would have always kept him below the highest levels. Summing it up, he was an interesting contender in a relatively strong heavyweight era. And no, he wouldn't beat the Klitschko's.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
        Morrison was one of the most excting heavyweights of the 90's, boxed rings around george foreman who a year later would become heavyweight champion of the world, morrison also knocked out heavyweight contenders james tills, carl wiiliams and razor ruddock, and knocked out former heavyweight champion pinklon thomas in a round, also the duke was WBO Heavyweight champion.
        Morrison was kind of a knockout artist scoring alot of 1st round KO's early in his career. Many believe he and Tyson would've been soulmates in the ring but Morrison ran into alot of hang ups that in my opinion pissed most of his prime away. He contracted HIV but underwent treatment for it early enough to reach a Magic Johnson "my Aids isn't actin up today" status. It killed his career though, he had trouble getting fights anywhere thoughout his formative years. Really the only notables he beat were Foreman, Ruddock, and Hipp. He was way past his prime when he fought Lewis.
        He was recently featured in Fight Night Round 4 along with another misunderstood former champion Mike Tyson.

Comment

morrison with a chin would've beaten everyone he lost to ( he has like 3 loses only )

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
            morrison with a chin would've beaten everyone he lost to ( he has like 3 loses only )
            Morrison still had stamina issues, and the Lewis fight showed that he had severe class limitations as well.

Comment

I think you could say his win over Foreman gets underrated, considering the fight after Foreman knocked out 35-0 Michael Moorer for the title.

Comment

Hard to underrate this:

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Hard to underrate this:
                  That's just an advanced version of the rope-a-dope.

Comment

Great topic, and yes he is vastly underrated. He beat good names and gave great exciting heavyweight fights.

Comment

offensively he was a terrific fighter

he had fast hands
                      honest to goodness kayo power
                      and he was pretty technical when he wanted to be

his chin was a bit easy to hit for a top flight fighter
                      and his lights went out pretty quick in a few fights

Comment

Working...
                      X