No announcement yet.

Ive been exposed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive been exposed

haha not really but i have a tendency whenever i throw my straight right i basically never bring it right back i just let it hang out there. It has never been a problem for me though because usually i throw a couple punches and just duck out away from the other guy and i have never fought someone fast enough to catch me to much on that where it has been a problem.

But today i was sparring some kid i kinda know hes about 10 or 15 pounds heavier then me and after he noticed i let that straight right hang out there he just pounded me. everytime i threw it he just clocked me with a left hook it got to the point where he would open up just so i would throw a straight right. The whole time one of the trainers is screaming at me to snap it back but im an idiot and would never do it.

He got me with this one left hook that he timed perfectly that just rocked my whole body and i was hanging on for dear life. The first time ive ever been in that much trouble... definetly a learning experience and something i have to work on.

so you had your knees wobbled. i hate that feeling because it reminds that i can still be hurt. i used to have a similar problem with reaching out my left hand for a southpaws right. one right hook and i corrected it.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee1460 View Post
      so you had your knees wobbled. i hate that feeling because it reminds that i can still be hurt. i used to have a similar problem with reaching out my left hand for a southpaws right. one right hook and i corrected it.
      The problem is ive been doing it so long it comes naturally to me to do that, and yeah i know what u mean thats the closest ive ever been to being knocked down.

Comment

The problem is ive been doing it so long it comes naturally to me to do that,
        oh ****, it's a habit that's sunk in? those are the worst, if i were you i'd be shadowboxing right now to correct that problem. flaws like that can cause what happened in the gym to happen on fight night

Comment

happened to me before with my jab, i used to bring it back but not to my chin.. got clocked with a straight... learned my lesson. also with the same thing that happened to you... learned my lesson there too.

Comment

happened to me before with my jab, i used to bring it back but not to my chin.. got clocked with a straight...
            sometimes it's fun to set up a trap like that. once you find your opponents rhythm you can bring your jab back low, roll their right hand counter, and come back with your own. i've tried the first two steps a couple of times but i've never managed to land my counter... oh well, it still makes you look like you know what you're doing.

Comment

I know what your saying. You just kinda throw it and seem confident that wether it lands or not your opponent will back away. I used to that but I never fought anyone good enough to counter, lucky me . And yeah I know its hard to relearn after being accustomed to that style for a long time. Practice in the heavybag first and foremost. I know your kinda throwing it as a huge fucking punch desgined to do damage. Now when your in front of the heavybag snap it brig it right back to your chin. Act as if the punching back will hit you back. I know it will be hard since it wont hit you, but sometimes boxers tend to get confident in the heavybag for that simple reason. Practice and practice. After about a month or so of good practice try and popping it off during sparring, at first you will not feel it land very hard. You wont be used to throwing it that fast and having it combined for power. Just keep throwing it and score in the middle of combinations, sooner or later you will feel in much much better control. Or if you feel like you wont make it back to your chin in time dont even try, just slip awways from the left. It will probbaly hurt but hurt alot less then landed cleanly. Now heres an example, I dont care if you like JMM or not but he probably has the best laser straight right. Just study this for a moment.
              Also notice how sometimes he wont put it back to his chin but instead throw a left to the body to make his opponent think twice about throwing a left knowing your throwing combinations.

Comment

I think i have found a good way to break that habit, after throwing the straight right i just got used to bringing it up around my eye for a second just so its back near my face.

Believe me ill never develop a habit like that again, ive always known i was wide open for a left hook when i threw my right but no one ever hit me with it so i never worried about it.

Comment

Working...
                X